If Your An Emerson Fan Is there Any Love for the Zero Tolerance Emerson 0640?

I've got a couple of Emersons. While looking at the Emerson A100 I came across a ZT that is a bit dressier. Should I just tow the line and stay with the A-100 vs. the ZT 0640?

I own a good number of ZT's, but recently I had to return two different 0470's due to rough deployment. So I'm a bit wary of ZT's at the moment.

Truly I'm not trolling. I own CRK, Spyderco, ZT/Kershaw, Emerson, Benchmade, DPX, Brous, Quartermaster, CKRT and Case. So I'm not a one brand zealot:)

I would go for the zt640, but with different scales. So I'm waiting for a limited edition run on it. There has also been a few poboy a100 for sale over the past several months as a consideration.

I would go for the zt640, but with different scales. So I'm waiting for a limited edition run on it. There has also been a few poboy a100 for sale over the past several months as a consideration.

Yes the Ghost Buster Slime Scales are not a fave of mine. Heck, ZT, make them glow in the dark like your other knife. But not when the lights are on :eek:

Do,you think this ZT is as good as the A-100?

Thanks!

Tough to say. Definitely depends on the actual piece that ends up in your hands. With the ZT, you could end up with gritty action or a really stiff detent, but you get harder steel and a framelock with an overlay. The a100 is a really great user with a plain look and easy maintenance. You could get some lock stick but it's usually less noticeable on waveless models.

Like you said, it's a choice between something more plain (a100) vs dressier (0640). Both will cut and will have good ergos.

Tough to say. Definitely depends on the actual piece that ends up in your hands. With the ZT, you could end up with gritty action or a really stiff detent, but you get harder steel and a framelock with an overlay. The a100 is a really great user with a plain look and easy maintenance. You could get some lock stick but it's usually less noticeable on waveless models.

Like you said, it's a choice between something more plain (a100) vs dressier (0640). Both will cut and will have good ergos.

Gritty is right on my two returned ZT 0470s. The first issue was inconsistent flicking open. Then pulling open the blade you could feel the uneven pull. Like there was sand in it.

I’ve got 10 other ZT models and never had a gritty deployment issue before. Two copies in a row! I actually feel like calling ZT and warn them about this issue with that model.

Throw way the ZT's. They are not made as intended to be a fighting life. Try getting knocked down to the ground and opening that supid stiff detent they have while some 360lb guys is laying on top of you.

Emerson ar designed for real life situations,

I just think the scale choice for the 0640 is a huge fail. It's an classic pattern, and I feel there should have been stylistic continuity with the 0620 and 0630 as far as scales. Black CF and the fullered G10 versions. I have seen a Po'Boy version of this knife that looked great. But to have to pay an extra $300 for the knife to not look straight up ugly is not something I am willing to do.

I just think the scale choice for the 0640 is a huge fail. It's an classic pattern, and I feel there should have been stylistic continuity with the 0620 and 0630 as far as scales. Black CF and the fullered G10 versions. I have seen a Po'Boy version of this knife that looked great. But to have to pay an extra $300 for the knife to not look straight up ugly is not something I am willing to do.

I guess I'll wait and see if they come up with a different color of scales. I think I'd never stop looking at the Ghostbuster's Slimer color:(. Let me paraphrase the movie.... Who You Gonna Call.....ZT:p

Throw way the ZT's. They are not made as intended to be a fighting life. Try getting knocked down to the ground and opening that supid stiff detent they have while some 360lb guys is laying on top of you.

Emerson ar designed for real life situations,

Man, you just brought back nasty memories of Jujitsu training... good thing I was faster than the heavy guy ;) --But point well made... I had two different 630s, and both could not be reliably opened with the thumb disk consistently.

I was struck by a video by Whitty at USAmadeblades that his walk in customers are pleasantly surprised by the scales and often buy the knife.

For me, I'm sure it's a wonderfully made knife, but I would prefer it to have a bit more of a guard. And when push comes to shove I like the weight and feel of Emersons far more than than the ZT designs.

It's a very nice homage to the Viper M3 but I wouldn't call it a hard use folder. The paper-thin lockbar relief is a critical weak point. I don't understand why a relief cut was needed at all. It's a nice slim EDC for light duty

I can't post this link here, but You can find it self- Sharp Dressed Knives already made about ten different scales for 640

I like the style of the 640 and understand why it doesn't have a wave - but yes I'm in the group that doesn't like the scales. Nice to see some aftermarket parties, but I know we'll all feel the pain about buying a new 640 and then having to buy scales right after, when the factory could have done G10 / micarta / CF to start with!

This is going to sound really nitpicky, but since I don't need any more knives, I only buy ones that really capture my attention. And I wanted to love the 0640 so much because I loved the Viper series, but my problem with the 0640 is the sharp triangle shape on the top of the scale. Everything else is smooth round flowing curves and then just a sharp triangle end that seems out of place. My best guess is that they didn't want it to look exactly like a Viper and wanted to ZT-fy it. But man, it really ruins it for me. I don't mind the scale color, I think it's cool, it's just that weird out of place triangle top.

This is going to sound really nitpicky, but since I don't need any more knives, I only buy ones that really capture my attention. And I wanted to love the 0640 so much because I loved the Viper series, but my problem with the 0640 is the sharp triangle shape on the top of the scale. Everything else is smooth round flowing curves and then just a sharp triangle end that seems out of place. My best guess is that they didn't want it to look exactly like a Viper and wanted to ZT-fy it. But man, it really ruins it for me. I don't mind the scale color, I think it's cool, it's just that weird out of place triangle top.
Indeed, this corner alone spoils the whole look. But there is a some "meat" for modification!
333.jpg

Back