Ikea Hobo Stove - All Tricked Out!

I have used sticker burner, or hobo stoves quite a bit in the past. The stuff that I have been doing the last couple of years has had me lean more to a pressurized type stove (like my MSR Dragonfly) for various reasons. Whether it was the fridge temperatures, the lack of time, or the amount of distance I wanted to cover, they have kind of been m pick.

I have to admit, for how convenient those things are, especially when you have kids that want to eat NOW, they have never sat well with me. There still seems to be a PITA factor to them. Last weekend is the perfect example of that. I took my two oldest kids to the woods for a hike. I would have loved to have packed something warm for lunch. But, when I thought of checking the status of the liquid fuel since my last use in winter, getting the fuel bottle, checking it all over, and test firing……well, I lost interest fast : ) So, we packed PB&J.

There is something much more appealing to me about taking a small stove that only uses fuel that the forest already provides. Sure, there is a little more prep time in getting one going, but I really don’t need much of an excuse to pick up sticks, playing with my knife and get to light a fire when I go to the woods. So, lately I have been on the kick for finding a very cool hobo stove.

I started off looking again at the Littlbug stoves. These are pretty ingenious looking things, and for what I want, I would have chosen the “junior” model. Even if you aren’t after a stove like that, you might want to check over their website for some interesting reading.

After thinking on it, I decided not to go that route. For one, I wasn’t sure how I would pack it in every situation and get the maximum use of space. Second, even though it might seem trivial, I like the idea of having somewhat of a bottom on it. Third, and probably most important, is that I am a cheap bastard : ) I didn’t want to part with that kind of cash : )

I remembered that The American Bushman did a cool one from the Ikea utensil holder. For $4, I figured this was the way I was going to go.

If you check around, this hobo stove is quite famous. So, I am not about to document it all over again. But, the whole reason for me writing this, and making a video is because in the process of making my own, I came up with a few unique tweaks that I had not seen yet that I thought you might be interested in. With that in mind, here is the video.

B

Stove Features

[youtube]8Cl30ZY1jf4[/youtube]

Firing it up

[youtube]Qv3b2_JPBso [/youtube]

Obviously, if you are carrying a stainless steel billy, you aren’t overly concerned about weight. But, if you use this setup with a mug, or aluminum kettle, or something light, I wanted to give an idea of the weight. I measured the stove itself at 4.5 oz. The two “rods” I made were ½ oz each. The ball chain was a ½ oz, and the pieces of sheet metal didn’t even move my crappy scale. Just additional FYI.

Nicely done Brian! Thanks for the info, but now I have to make one.
Oh well.....I don't think I'll have ANY problem getting my wife to go shopping at
Ikea! She'll know somethings up though! :)

Great work and great videos Brian. :thumbup: I might have to hit the Ikea this week ;).

A couple questions and/or ideas.

1, Instead of the ball chain for use with the alcohol burner, couldn't the two steel rods be placed in the existing holes in the side to hold it up? There is plenty of holes so height adjustment shouldn't be too big of an issue.

2, Have you tried it with charcoal like MatchLight? I know its additional weight to pack but little hobo stove like that with some charcoal might be kinda useful when car camping. Toss in a couple briquettes and have a rather long burning heat source for warming as mentioned.

Thanks,
Chris

Both good ideas Chris! Thanks!

I just pulled it out and checked, and the rods in the holes works excellent for the alcohol burner. Kind of embarassed I didn't think of that :eek:

I was checking out the Littlbug site, and saw their suspension system and got a one track mind on the subject....if you know what I mean.

Even without matchlight, a brick or two might not be a bad idea to toss in after it is done burning (when car camping) to keep it smoldering for quite a while, or just keeping stuff warm.

Also, if you can't tell, I kind of figured some of this out as I went. I had the idea for the rods for small things, like the cup. Then, I made the pieces out of sheet metal, which will hold both large and small things. So, if I used those, I really didn't need the rods anymore. Either way, LOTS of cool options. I knew there was a reason I bought a few of these :D

I am glad I posted this, because those are some excellent thoughts.

B

Last edited:
one question about the alcohol stove??? how does it work when inside of your screen...???

how does it work when inside of your screen...???

I am not sure what you mean. I always screen an alcohol stove, so being able to use this stove as a screen is just a bonus. If you mean "how do I light it once it is in?" I can hit it with firesteel sparks from above with no problems still. But, I am guessing that you might be able to use a match from the side to.

I am not sure if I answered your question. If not, let me know.

B

not really...

i don't know if you have seen my thread about my hobo stove, but the closer the screen is to the GSI cup, the less effective the alcohol stove is... i was wondering if you had any issues with that...

:D thanks

not really...

i don't know if you have seen my thread about my hobo stove, but the closer the screen is to the GSI cup, the less effective the alcohol stove is... i was wondering if you had any issues with that...

:D thanks

I get what you are saying. No, I didn't have that issue at all. I have a few alcohol stoves. The one pictured, and the rest I built from cans. Meaning the one shown is the biggest one I have. Even though the fuel reservoir is quite large, the "burner" part is smaller. So the burner is quite a ways away from the edge with this particular setup.

Hey Brian, have you looked at the Bushbuddy? Great materials and design, pre- assembled and cooks very well. Made to nest in a pot or large cup.
http://www.bushbuddy.ca/

Hey Kahuana,

I have actually seen that, but didn't mention it along with the Littlbug in my initial post. I think that is an ingenious design and I would love to play with one. But, after looking at the pictures, and watching video I decided against it for several reasons:

- Cost. Yikes! If I was too cheap for the Littlbug, I couldn't justify that :D

- Space. I am as much concerned about "volume" as weight. With the one I just made up, it slips inside the billy and takes up virtually no space. It will allow you to fill up the inside with food, stove and fuel, or any other supplies you want. The bushbuddy takes up more volume because of the double wall, has the screen inside, and the little rack seems to hog up some space too. I know myself, and I would definitely start trying to cram stuff in there and probably end up breaking something :D As an aside, the little one I made weighs 4.5 oz. So, it is in the same weight range as the expensive bushbuddy, and lighter than their standard model.

- Starting it. I like being able to fill up the stove, and then light it right in the stove. If you noticed in the video lit materials required transferring into the stove. Also, the bushbuddy required a few minutes to get "established" before adding the pot. In the video, that was approximately 3 minutes. In my video, my pot went on after about 5 seconds with no issues.

I realize those are just nit picky things, and my own personal preference. But there are too many for me to justify $100 or more.

With all that said, I am sure the design of the bushbuddy is more efficient. It seems that the double wall system seems to regulate the flame well, and more than likely ends up using less fuel. But, at $4, I can live with it :D

Great stuff though!

B

How big is this ikea strainer in relation to a quart paint can? It seems like you could make a pretty easy gasifier just by putting the ikea stove inside one with a few holes in it...

I bought one today, can you show pictures of your modifications?

Here you go.....

IMG_5173.jpg

IMG_5174.jpg

IMG_5176.jpg

IMG_5178.jpg

IMG_5175.jpg

IMG_5177.jpg

IMG_5179.jpg

IMG_5180.jpg

IMG_5181.jpg

IMG_5182.jpg

I happened to get to an IKEA yesterday - got myself a strainer.

I think I'll also make a stand for it (most likely a second pot stand or a triancular thingie).
That way more air will come into it, and it also makes it easier to shield the ground from the heat, thus making it a small table top fireplace as well.

Brian,
Besides the issues you mentioned, what don't you like about the Bushbuddy. Just kidding. I can appreciate your opinions and ideas, thanks for answering. Good luck with the stove evolution. Take care,
Mike

Back