I'm DONE with my one Recon 1!

CLICK BAIT! HA HA HA HA!

So I got another and made sure it was the TANTO!

Well looking at another CS Marauder, and a Recon 1 Tanto was also on the screen..was thinking of getting the serrated version for my brother before he goes to Alaska Netting Season, but figured he could get his own! So ordered the Recon 1 in with a Tanto blade for yet another general carry every dang where blade. I'm getting no serrations for my self! Really passing up the CS Marauder was pretty easy as I got one that still works well and well its work in the well was superb. (Root killing)

Oh I like my Code 4s, but well their BLATANT design flaw of when using them bare handed at -40 degrees in a high wind can make your hands too cold to use it properly with out gloves! (yes I had to use it a few times in said conditions) It just makes them my every day other carry knives when I want some thing slimmer to pocket.

Check out the S35VN AK-47 too. Tough folder that one. Also like the belly on that knife.

I was also interested in the Marauder, but the design didn’t look too practical to me. And a carbon steel like SK5 or 52100 would have suited a big blade better than Aus8.

Are the current CS Marauder knives still hollow ground? My current one is, that's what put me off on it and went for the Recon 1 Tanto. If it wasn't hollow ground then I'd get one ASAP. My Current CS Marauder covers camp tasks and such that are light to medium duty because of the hollow grind, but with wood vs steel that's no problem for light machete tasks.

Well, my Recon 1 Tanto S35VN is hollow ground for the main length of the blade (the belly, so to speak). It’s not a very deep hollow grind, though. A large wheel was probably used for grinding.

The “tip” portion appears to be flat ground.

I’m normally not a fan of hollow grinds either, but this doesn’t bother me.

Love my Recon 1 with tanto blade. I really love that S35VN steel. Bought my son a Recon 1 with clip blade and had it engraved for a Christmas gift for him.

FYI the latest version comes with smoother scale, so get one while you can!

Here's a video showing the new scale:

I have recent versions of all the blade shape Recon 1 knives. One thing I noticed that I don't see mentioned is that there is a slight but noticeable difference in balance/feel between the knives. The spear and tanto bladed knives have a little more blade-heavy (and to me, preferred) feel while the clip has a lighter feel.

My tanto has a slight hollow grind while the spear and clip are flat ground.

How would I know if I am getting a rough g10 or smooth g10 version other than calling the dealer to verify?

I have a(nother) Recon 1 inbound; this one is a tanto part serrated.
I'm generally a spear point or drop point fan, but clip points and tantos have their place as well.
A tanto combo edge is a good EDC - especially if backed up by a SAK or other slicer blade.

Well as some one said the main part of the blade on the Recon Tanto is hollow ground, I was a little put off by that, but the front part of the Tanto blade isn't. But given its a folding knife, and the hollow grind isn't that much pronounced, its a keeper, I got it for the front part of the blade front any ways, don't know why the hollow ground it, probably to keep it cheaper? But for a decent S35VN blade knife, its very passable as the front part of the blade is a non hollow ground tank.

My lesson learned. The Drop Point Recon 1 is the way to go, told a few people this and they were glad I did, as they saw both knives when deciding on their first CS entry addiction knife. The Strong locking system was the main selling point to them besides the S35VN steel, and some of the even "Lesser STEEL" knife blades that CS offers, because you can use a CS folding knife like a real fixed blade knife mostly that can ride in the pocket.

Yeah, the Recon 1 is by far one of the biggest bang for the buck S35VN blade with a great coating, with 3 popular blade profile. My American Tanto profile Recon 1 works pretty well. I have a feeling I'll be abusing it as a beater blade. My drop point one is a better all rounder blade.

Still Glad I got the Tanto version over that CS Maurder I almost got..again. Its still a knife that I can trust for a folder with the great lock it has.

Back