I'm finding mixed things about Chinese knife law. What's the truth?

Hey!

I'm planning a trip to China next summer which will involve a lot of remote trekking. Given the amount of hiking I'll be doing, I'd love to bring a knife. The past couple weeks I've been researching Chinese knife law, and I've found nothing but conflicting information.

Some people say large locking knives are illegal, but everything else is OK.
Equally as many people say that all knives are illegal to carry, regardless of specs.
In the exact same thread I saw one person say his SAK was confiscated at a train station, and I saw another guy say his SAK was found but not confiscated.

I would just hide it throughout the trip, but I have to take a train from Beijing to Lhasa, and I'm told the bag searches are extreamly thorough.

At this point I'm just confused and a little frustrated, anyone know where I can find a clear explanation of what I can and can't carry?

Don't bring a knife, getting caught will get you imprisoned. Get one where you get there from locals who know the law.

For the record, I would guess 100% of the US Citizens wrongly imprisoned and still not released in countries with state department threat levels had experience traveling to countries with threat levels.............until they were imprisoned

Good luck on your travels and get back safe.

For the record, I would guess 100% of the US Citizens wrongly imprisoned and still not released in countries with state department threat levels had experience traveling to countries with threat levels.............until they were imprisoned

I agree, my point was that I'm familiar with the precaution that need to be taken, not that I'm immune to getting detained. If I wasn't taking precautions I wouldn't have made this post, I would've just ran with the first source that said any non-locking knife is legal.

Don't bring a knife, getting caught will get you imprisoned. Get one where you get there from locals who know the law.

It's looking like that'll be what I do. There just doesn't seem to be any set in stone laws that I can safely follow.

Thanks for the input!

Last edited:
Sorry but there are no good news. From many talks with Chinese colleagues that I know, Chinese law is "just text". In other words, it is entirely up to interpretation of whoever you encounter, hence the contradictory information that you've encountered.

If you’ve travelled alot you know the score. Cops will probably do what they feel like.

I wouldn’t bring a knife and expose myself to risk. Especially in the environment right now.

Be careful and have a safe trip.

Sorry but there are no good news. From many talks with Chinese colleagues that I know, Chinese law is "just text". In other words, it is entirely up to interpretation of whoever you encounter, hence the contradictory information that you've encountered.

That's really helpful info, I appreciate it!

Are you camping or staying where you cook your own meals?

If so, when you get to China, buy a small/med sized slicing cleaver that you can use for food prep and "other" purposes. Can't imagine why they'd arrest anyone w/a "choi dou." If they did, they'd have to arrest everyone in China. Just don't carry it like a weapon.

BTW, if it is unclear, I am just being facetious. I have never been to China and don't know what the applicable laws are but, even so, I can't imagine that Chinese cleavers are any less ubiquitous than chopsticks. Check w/locals who speak English and just use your best judgment about how to proceed.

Back