I'm looking for a custom tanto ...

As the title say, I'm looking for a custom made tanto. Unfortunately, I have very little experience with buying custom knives and so I don't know who to turn to. My first preference is damascus, but I don't want to rule out the great works of other custom makers. I'm looking to spend 300-500$ on the knife.

Sooooo ... who are the best guys (in terms of quality of work)to talk to about getting a knife made?? Please feel free to respond to the post or email me personally.

Thanks

You may want to try Scott Slobodian's work.
For traditional tantos you may want to leave damascus in favor of a more traditional finish, with differentially hardened blade and beautiful hamon like those you may find on Scott's blades.
You may look at some of his work at his website:

http://www.slobodianswords.com/

Prices vary depending on blade size and fittings.

I know that Jay Maines makes quality tantos in that price range, as well RJ Martin. I have seen some positive feedback in both Magazines and by talking to other blade lovers. Also, what about Bob Lum. I think there are many fine makers in that price range( will a little higher).

Dan Huff

Try a Wally Hayes. His knives are right in you budget and the design, fit, and finish are superb. i own several. i PERSONALLY (not that other aren't any good, it just my perfence) think there's nothing better made when it comes to japanese style knives

www.hayesknives.com

I have a Don Fogg that I'll send you an Email about. Ask the forum guys if they think HE'S any good !!!!

For a superb knife made traditionally, and reasonably priced, you cannot go wrong with Don Polzien.

Keep um coming. It'll probably be a while before I settle on a knife. I want to make sure I get the best knife for my buck. Also, if you have webpages or contact info for your recommendation, I appreciate it. It makes things easier on me :).

Thanks again
Dave

Are you looking for a folder or Fixed blade?

My choices would differ significantly depending on the answer :)

I have a number of RJ Martin's knives and consider them some of the finest in my colection. His tanto pieces are very fine with fit and finish second to none. His blades are the sharpest I have ever come across and I am a fanatic when it comes to sharpness!!! RJ is also a great guy to deal with.

Whichever tanto style blade you get make sure the grind is on the correct side for you (left hand or right hand)if you are going to use it.

oh yeah, I forgot Gary Bradburn! See Bimmer's post above, with a GB Damasteel tanto. Prices are reasonable.

Chris W is right, if you get a chisel-ground tanto be sure to specify right or left-hand grind. But traditional tantos are v-ground not chisel-ground.

I just took a look at his website and WOW:D There are some great knives on there that would fit into your price range.

Dan Huff

Ditto Keith Montgomery. He doesn't call them 'pocket swords' for nothing. Purpose built for one thing.

Back