Imperial Kit Carson Trail Knife

Just came across, new in box, an Imperial Kit Carson Trail knife, Prov. R.I. part of their "Authentic Reproduction" series. Anyone know when this might have been manufactured? Approximate worth? Any info appreciated. It is truly one beautifull knife.

http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/FLYERS/IMPERIALS/knives/Pre-1980/pages/I73-2.htm

I73-2.jpg

That is a nice find, and a sweet pattern. I have not seen many for sale lately, and it is not particularly a high end knife, but having it NIB with documentation makes it attractive. I'd give $45 or $50 for it if it is clean and unused. I wager though there are some that would pay more.

Here is another fixed blade you don't see very often. I don't know whether it is Schrade or Camillus.

Craftsmanfixed001-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks for all the info. That catalog page is truely nice. Thanks for forwarding to me. I'm not interested in selling, was just trying to get a ball park value for insurance. I'll just park in next to my Ka Bar Grizzly switchblade and smile when I look at them. I carry a Barlow Old Timer which has been with me for many years. Years ago my Dad taught me to ALWAYS have a blade handy. Lesson well learned.

If you can Dave, post a picture of your Kit Carson with the box and paperwork. Did the knife have a paper like the one in the picture that says "TRAIL KNIFE" on it? If so, you might pose a picture like that flyer (though you'd need two knives for a replica).

000_0086.jpg

000_0090.jpg

:thumbup: That's some good stuff Dave. Thanks for showing us. :thumbup:

What I find interesting about this Mint version I've had for many years is not only the "Mr Dealer: Place this Display Sign in Box as indicated at right for Maximum Sales Potential"..but also folded neatly in the lid and still in its original unopened packet...Card from Mary Stewart where she offers just for calling.... your choice of either a "Mystery Knife" or a "Grand Opener"....shades of Prince Albert marketing offer?...back in 1973?...and just about as Politically Incorrect ....I believe this may have been delivered as a promotion knife to a caller....who was Mary Stewart and was she operating back in 1973...come on super sleuths..In 1973 I was only a boy from the South Australian Colonies living on the last tip of land before the South Pole...so how would I know who she is/was.......Hoo Roo

Attachments

• P9120001.jpg
    P9120001.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 33
  • P9120006.jpg
    P9120006.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 32
  • P9120008.jpg
    P9120008.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 30
  • P9120002.jpg
    P9120002.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 33
  • P9120003.jpg
    P9120003.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Is the inorganic sheath, plastic? The knives are great, both are in fine shape for being 37 years old.

The sheath does appear to be plastic,certainly not leather,...you would have to say the knife is better quality than its sheath....were these made for Kids?...and did kids carry such knives in US in 1973?...we used to carry Scout Fixed Blade knives...perhaps these were carried by Scouts?..not too many would have regarded them as collectables then I would imagine...seems the knives that survived intact were knives like my Carson that was given as a gift and then thrown in a Drawer not to appear until years later when they became 'collectable'......you can always tell when someone has no regard for these older knives that remain mint as in my case the knife has never even seen the inside of the sheath which is one of the first thing a knife appreciator wants to do is see how it looks as an outfit...except us collectors now resist the temptation as well..dont we??

Here is another fixed blade you don't see very often. I don't know whether it is Schrade or Camillus.

Craftsmanfixed001-1.jpg
[/IMG]

I have a couple of those and I haven't nailed down the manufacturer yet either. The flat grind is "Imperialish", but the Staglon construction handle and shield are more "Schradish". Maybe they originally came with a blade etched sears number, and we will find one some day, or one with original packaging. That would allow us to match it to records, if they still exist. That is the same rough out leather sheath both of mine came with, so it is original. To me, this suggests Schrade rather than Imperial, as Imperial would have used a thinner split leather, or plastic.

Who exactly bought the Kit Carson knives? Probably Mom and Dad picked them up as Christmas gifts to go with the new shotgun or .22 under the tree. It is not really the type of knfe that an outdoorsman would buy for himself, do you think? Nothing wrong with the knife itself at all. But the cheap sheath doesn't speak well for durability in outdoor use. Kit Carson was a TV series in the early to mid 1950's, so would have been familiar to parents and kids who were older in 1973.

Yeh...the Kit Carson Series has just premieraired on our T.V. here with Bill Williams they tell me he was Dale Evans husband?...or was that RR....comes on after the other new one we have..I Love Lucy......:D
so Michael, who is Mary Stewart refer my above post....was she into knives....Hoo Roo

I haven't a clue who Mary Stewart was/is. Very possibly a regional salesperson. Perhaps her name is somewhere in the minutes of the c.1972 Imperial Sales meetings.

Yes, Leonard Slye (Roy Rogers) and Lucille Smith (Dale Evans) were married. She was from my hometown in Arkansas.

...thanks for that I just remembered Bill Williams was married to Della Street..Perry Masons Secretary?...I think?.....<that was one Secretary that was fairly safe from advances>....hey, I'm not American I'm not supposed to know these things....Hoo Roo

Went to a gun show this weekend and saw tactical knifes US made going for $200-300 Cheap knockoffs for 45-80. The Kit Carson sold for 19.85 in 1973, minimum wage was $1.60, so that represents 12 hours of work. Minimum wage today $7.25 x 12 = $87.00. If I saw a knife the quality of the Kit Carson selling for $87.00, I would buy it. I know this might be a strange perspective but thats how I think when I see a Kershaw Auto selling for $85.00, and need to justify the purchase. I don't remember the Kit Carson T.V. series, but my history lessons taught me he was a trapper and guide to early settlers of the American West. He would have made Lewis & Clark proud. .....Sky King forever!

Back