Photos Imperial Knife

Hello,

I found the knife pictured for $3 at a thrift shop. It seemed in good shape so I bought it.

Thing is, I'm not too familiar with Imperial. The few I've seen all have yellow scales. Are the gray ones anything special?

I'd like to clean this up, but if there's collector value I'll just stabilize the metal and keep it in the collection.

Anything you can tell me would be great. Thanks!

Imp_1.jpg

Imp_3.jpg

Imp_4.jpg

Imp_2.jpg

Looks kinda like the one's I bought at the corner store back in the 60s for $.89. The one you have does not look in bad condition for it's age. Try some metal polish like Flitz and oil the joints. Recall trading off my old Imperials and Schrade folders for packs of firecrackers or just lost em. Hey clean it up and add to your collection.

The pattern is called a toothpick, often used by fishermen. It’s a good tool, but not really collectible since Imperial was a low price common brand. It’s got a full tip, nice edge and appears not used very much. Clean it, oil it and and use it. I use soap and water and Flitz.

Thanks guys.

I have another Imperial that was Dad's. It's like this, but yellow and has a fish scaler. I'm unsure of where it's even at -- likely in one of my tackle boxes.

I've always enjoyed the was these look.

For what it's worth, according to the Imperial tang stamp date code charts I've seen, the tang stamp on your knife indicates the knife was made between 1956 and 1988 (the time period they used that particular stamp).

But that doesn't really narrow down the age though , does it 😁 .

That pattern has been known as a toothpick, Texas toothpick and powder horn, depending on where you are. The pattern came out of the Deep South and was popular as a all around fishing/game/pocket knife that had a wide following. The fishing knife version has the second blade/tool that was a fish scaler, and the knives with a second knife blade was the all around pocket knife for the non fishing crowd.

There was an old trick to wedge a wooden match stick under the blade tip to prop it up a bit for faster opening in a tavern brawl where these knives showed up with a good frequency in the 1930's thru the WW2 era. Hammer brand and a few others made an automatic in this style, with colored handle scales. It was the country version of the Italian style switchable the city kids used.

The carbon steel blades will actually take a very fine edge and cut very well. Oil it up and use it, you'll probably be surprised at how well it cuts. Not much collector value there, so have fun using it.

That pattern has been known as a toothpick, Texas toothpick and powder horn, depending on where you are. The pattern came out of the Deep South and was popular as a all around fishing/game/pocket knife that had a wide following. The fishing knife version has the second blade/tool that was a fish scaler, and the knives with a second knife blade was the all around pocket knife for the non fishing crowd.

There was an old trick to wedge a wooden match stick under the blade tip to prop it up a bit for faster opening in a tavern brawl where these knives showed up with a good frequency in the 1930's thru the WW2 era. Hammer brand and a few others made an automatic in this style, with colored handle scales. It was the country version of the Italian style switchable the city kids used.

The carbon steel blades will actually take a very fine edge and cut very well. Oil it up and use it, you'll probably be surprised at how well it cuts. Not much collector value there, so have fun using it.
I don’t believe it came out of the ”deep south”. Several generations of New Englanders and New Yorkers carried this pattern from my personal experience. As a switchblade, it was handier as a fishing knife, you could use one hand to open it while your other hand was busy. I do believe the southern connection as a tavern brawling blade was a marketing ploy, since I’ve seen the ads, but I’ve seen more were it is touted as a fishing knife, hence the thousands that have a fish scaler.

Back