Important - I am not a Master!!!

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
On a serious note guys, I am no Master Knifemaker. A Master Artist is a defined concept, and I would ask y'all to use caution and not refer to me that way. I have utmost respect for the knifemakers who have achieved this status, and our very talented Journeymen as well. Their work is obviously on a level apart from mine, by miles. I am -this is very important IMO- not such a craftsman yet, and may never achieve it, though, I am striving for masterful craftsmanship. Honestly, I am at the apprentice level in my work guys. I am striving to achieve (in my own judgement) journeyman status, but in my own opinion, I have not achieved this yet, and still need 300 knives a year for a few more years. This is something I am proud to be! I am an Apprentice Knifemaker. Its the best job I've ever had.

Certainly, and unfortunately, I have no organization that can test and certify my craftsmanship on that scale at all. It simply doesn't exsist. And I think that is regretable for those of us who are not forgers, but grind our blades. I think the Knifemakers Guild is admirable, and I plan to try to join it when I think I am good enough to get through Kentucky. I have a membership application signed by Guild members, and I will be very excited to send it in when I'm ready. But the fact is that they don't test for journeyman, or master status, have no program to do so, and so there is a void IMO among the grinders of our time. For now I have to judge myself, and I claim Apprentice status proudly, and work toward mastery.

Think of the knives made by Bruce Bump, or J. Neilson, then think of mine. The difference is rediculous, its like a silly cartoon that makes you laugh. Think of Nick Wheeler's knives, then think of mine. Again, there is a very palpably distict difference. I would live in the ditch in front of any of those mens homes if they let me sweep their shop, clean their toilets and learn from them. Their status is certified by the ABS. But that isn't necessary for me to see that Raymond Richard is a Master Knifemaker. I hope one day to make pieces that tell my status, like Mr. Richards. Then I'll think I really achieved something. Right now I'm just happy making cutting tools with edges that work hard and handles that are comfortable.

I just wanted to let y'all in this forum know how seriously I take those status titles. Please, don't call me a master. It would cheapen the actual achievement for others IMO!!! Allowing it to happen here in this forum would make me look like a bigheaded cheezeball among men I timidly call peers.

On a serious note guys, I am no Master Knifemaker. A Master Artist is a defined concept, and I would ask y'all to use caution and not refer to me that way. I have utmost respect for the knifemakers who have achieved this status, and our very talented Journeymen as well. Their work is obviously on a level apart from mine, by miles. I am -this is very important IMO- not such a craftsman yet, and may never achieve it, though, I am striving for masterful craftsmanship. Honestly, I am at the apprentice level in my work guys. I am striving to achieve (in my own judgement) journeyman status, but in my own opinion, I have not achieved this yet, and still need 300 knives a year for a few more years. This is something I am proud to be! I am an Apprentice Knifemaker. Its the best job I've ever had.

Certainly, and unfortunately, I have no organization that can test and certify my craftsmanship on that scale at all. It simply doesn't exsist. And I think that is regretable for those of us who are not forgers, but grind our blades. I think the Knifemakers Guild is admirable, and I plan to try to join it when I think I am good enough to get through Kentucky. I have a membership application signed by Guild members, and I will be very excited to send it in when I'm ready. But the fact is that they don't test for journeyman, or master status, have no program to do so, and so there is a void IMO among the grinders of our time. For now I have to judge myself, and I claim Apprentice status proudly, and work toward mastery.

Think of the knives made by Bruce Bump, or J. Neilson, then think of mine. The difference is rediculous, its like a silly cartoon that makes you laugh. Think of Nick Wheeler's knives, then think of mine. Again, there is a very palpably distict difference. I would live in the ditch in front of any of those mens homes if they let me sweep their shop, clean their toilets and learn from them. Their status is certified by the ABS. But that isn't necessary for me to see that Raymond Richard is a Master Knifemaker. I hope one day to make pieces that tell my status, like Mr. Richards. Then I'll think I really achieved something. Right now I'm just happy making cutting tools with edges that work hard and handles that are comfortable.

I just wanted to let y'all in this forum know how seriously I take those status titles. Please, don't call me a master. It would cheapen the actual achievement for others IMO!!! Allowing it to happen here in this forum would make me look like a bigheaded cheezeball among men I timidly call peers.

Serious reply first - I completely understand and totally agree. Please consider my missuse of the term as purely an enamurred amatuer knife enthusiast totally blown away by what they saw.

On a lighter note - I probably should have said "Master of your domain." to quote my favorite Seinfeld episode.:D

Serious reply first - I completely understand and totally agree. Please consider my missuse of the term as purely an enamurred amatuer knife enthusiast totally blown away by what they saw.

On a lighter note - I probably should have said "Master of your domain." to quote my favorite Seinfeld episode.:D

No biggie, of course. I'd just seen it on here a couple of times and needed to be clear about it.

Andy,
Labels aside, you do nice work ! :)
I have 3 now (just got #3 today) and they look great and cut great.

bob

So humble.

Of course, you have much to learn.

That doesn't take away from the quality of the knives you're making and selling today. I'm proud to own several, and they are displayed in my office/library right next to a Bruce Bump, a John White, a J. Nielsen, and a Dan Winkler.

As a wonderful bonus, my Fiddlebacks 'magically' seem to see a lot more field use. And that's a good thing.

Thanks OP. This isn't about humble though. I'm not humble about it. I'm an apprentice knifemaker. It fricking rocks.

Thats for sure Andy,We May be very good at what we do ,But definatly not masters! Glad you stepped up,As i have said the same for myself before.Lol or we would be selling knives for 5-15 grand a peice.

I just read what it takes to become a Master Knifemaker - and all the steps. When I read that post - I knew you were going to correct it. It would be like calling me Dr. when I am a professor (who does not have his doctorate). I correct students too.

TF

I have been to a couple of Blade Shows and have seen at your booth money exchanging hands for knives available for sale and the maker at the table to meet customers.I have been to mastersmiths table with pictures of knives they have made and the maker nowhere in sight to talk about their work.Most people that buy mastersmiths knives are an investment,kept in a safe and never used, just post pictures on the internet.Most people that buy your knives need one for using for a task and people love how the knife feels in their hands and that is what counts.
Thanks,
Michael

Last edited:
Thank you very much. I'm glad you like my knives. I'm really indebted to the customers. I live by this!

You're welcome Andy,
I'm the one who feels indebted,
Knives with nice wood or micarta or G10
handles are all over the place, Your knives caught
my eye the first time I saw one. You may not be a Master
but I would say that you certainly are an Innovator!!!

Just out of curiosity. Who is a "master" knifemaker so I can see what a knife made by this person looks like.

Well spoken Andy!! :thumbup: :thumbup: and within the confines of proper titleage (is there such a word?),, I will say you are the best Damn Apprentice I know of,, and it was a pleasure to meet you @ Blade,,just a great guy that obviously loves his job,

Your work is appealing on so many levels, not the least of which is the care you put into it,,:thumbup:

Keep grinding Brother,,we'll keep following :D

Now get busy,, my Bushie needs a Snubnose friend :D

Wade

Thanks Wade.

BBQ Boy

Check this out!

Newell4.jpg

Back