Importing from Singapore to Canada

Hi there. This is my first post.

I'm currently living here in Calgary but I'm originally from Singapore.

I have a huge knife and sword collection back home and I was wondering how does one go about bringing their private collection of swords, knives, axes, etc. over. Where does one even start?

Any ideas from anyone?

You have two options. One is to bring some over every time you go visit Singapore.
The other option is to to ship it to your Canadian address. You need to go over there
and package them yourself, or have someone do it for you.
You can check if there are any restrictions for knives by Singapore Post:
You didn't say just how big your collection is, as it may call foor Sea Mail if it is a lot.
In both cases you need to go through your collection and ensure that all the knives/items are
lawful for posession in Canada. You'll have to fill out a Customs Declaration Form.

Thanks for your advice.

I was actually planning on doing the first option which is bring them in myself batch by batch.

The only problem is do you know who to get in touch with to get clearance in order to bring them out of Singapore and into Canada?

There's no restriction on swords or axes in Canada. You'll just have to deal with customs folks if they think you're trying to dodge duty, like if you were running a retail store.

Folding knives are trickier. Balis and switchblades are 100% prohibited. Some other folders are problematic and I think for fixed knives only a Trench Knife or a Punch Dagger will not pass.

And if you have any weird ninja stuff, or belt buckle knives that will be on the no go list too.

Thanks for your advice.

I was actually planning on doing the first option which is bring them in myself batch by batch.

The only problem is do you know who to get in touch with to get clearance in order to bring them out of Singapore and into Canada?
Clearance from whom? Does Singapore require such a clearance for you to carry knives out the country?
I am not aware if any country that regulates knives going out of the country, only coming into the country.
According to the Singapore Police:
"Permissible Items are not regulated and no licence or permit is requiredfor their import, export or possession."
So as long as all your knives,swords,axes. etc are all legal to posess in Singapore you do not need any permit.

Permissible Items are listed here:

I would think that your only concern would be Canadian Customs where you would have to declare them your personal
property.

As mentioned above, getting exported out of Singapore will not be an issue. It's coming into Canada where it highly depends on what you have. When I moved from New Zealand to Singapore, I just packaged it all with my household effects. Don't call attention to your collection unless you have to!

Back