Importing knife into Canada from US Store

I phoned customs once when I was going to buy a Benchmade knife from http://www.newgraham.com. If the knife is legal there should be no problems with customs. However, if the knife is not made in the USA, there is often a large duty charge and sometimes a handling fee on top of that. If the knife is made in the USA there should be no duty.

i am selling a spyderco endura and ladybug and a customer wants to know if it can be shipped to canada. i am not sure what do you guys think.

Do not use UPS, FEDEX, or any other courier service.

New Graham does not make you jump through any hoops at all. Just use a credit card like anywhere else. In the special notes, ask for USPS mailing.

I've ordered two or three knives from them and everything came through just fine... I needed a hex key to get the skirmish open, though! :)

New Graham has been flawless and quick. Definitely ask for USPS shipping, UPS and other couriers will soak you with large surcharges. I once ordered a knife from a retailer (not New Graham) years ago. The Katz Cheetah was worth about 170 dollars, but UPS added another 50 dollar surprise surcharge 'handling charge'.

I buy most of my knives from overseas (USA ;)) and I never had any problems, even with spring assisted and knives with really loose pivots. Even though technically being able to flick a knife open with one hand makes the knife prohibited. Funny how the turn of a screw makes one go from law abiding citizen to prohibited weapon charges and two years in prison if you're caught with it.

My RAT-1, CS Rajah2, Spyderco Resilience, CRKT Pharaoh, Boker B@atman, two Kershaw Leeks, and ZT 301 all came with loose pivots that could be flicked open by a two year old, and most of the packages had signs of being opened by customs, but I don't think customs really cares.

You're still better off with a Canadian shop in most cases. You might have to pay a bit more in base price and tax, but you're saved having to pay any duty fees.

Back