Impressed by BGRS

The Principal of a small country school near where I live knew my hobby was collecting hand made blades. Her class of combined grade 5,6, and 7's were studying Japan (In Australia, because of distances to be travelled we have a large number of small country schools with only a few teachers and a small number of students where classes are combined). She asked if I could bring in a katana plus a few other blades from Asian countries to show the kids. I took along a Kris Cutlery Katana, an Indonesian Golok, and a BGRS. The kids were suitably impressed by the Katana and the Golok. However, I was surprised by their reaction to the BGRS (I know I shouldn't have been but I was). There was a loud gasp from the whole class when I pulled out the BGRS. It was by far their favourite and it was the one they wanted to know more about. I wish Bura could know how much one class of country Australian kids were impressed by something he made.:)

I hope the response from the children gets back to Big Ghorka. It was nice of you to go out of your way for their class. All the best!
Sam

It is a great story and thanks for sharing. Even though I tell them from time to time I don't think the kamis fully realize their fame and/or notoriety.

The BGRS is probably my next-in-line purchase...I love how it looks and am excited to test it out.

"loud gasp from the whole class"--Sounds like me when I got my first HI khuk! Heehee!

Thanks fer the great story, Glenn. I like Kris' blades too!

Keith
En Ferro Veritas

I sure remember when those first two Khuks were delivered by the mailman. I was digging in that box before he could get his little jeep in gear,so, he waited long enough to see what was so important. When they were out and laying on the paper we both had to put our eyes back in the sockets and unhook our jaw bones from belt buckles. The Bura 15" AK and Kesar BAS. Kesar sure didn't have any problems with his knives on that one. It's one of the knives that just get sharper with use. No, I don't think a guy ever forgets that first HI Khuk.:D :D :D

Bruised,

Was that you who asked if the leather they used was from the Buffalo's armpit? :D Anyway, if any of you have encountered a water buffalo at close proximity, you'd probably agree that they smell like they've got armpits all over!!!

But probably not a match for the infamous BirGorkha charpi....
Andrew Limsk

Originally posted by BruiseLeee

My first HI product came with smelly leather. :)

Oh No! Now you've done it. the only thing that gets as much thread attention as bears is the infamous ( not more than famous thank you 3 amigos fans) charpi.

Glenn, childrens' response aside, you did such a good choice of three Asian blades! I was also impressed by BGRS, at first when I saw it, then more impressed when I held it in my hand.

Back