Impressed with first Survive knife

Elgatodeacero

Gold Member
I received my Survive knife about a week ago. It is a 4.1 with ferro notch and G10 grips, and blade is CPM 3V super steel.

I also use a customized BK15, a bare steel TOPS bob, and a bare steel esee 4. All of these are great knives made of 1095. I especially like the TOPS bob, except for the belt clip on the sheath.

The GSO 4.1 was about $200.00, and the others were each about $125 (counting custom exotic wood handles on the BK 15, but also pretending - because it's my thread - that I did not order a very nice custom leather sheath for the BK15 that cost more than the blade).

My GSO 4.1 is extremely high quality, the balance is superb, the grip is shaped just right for my hand, and the sheath is best in class. The ferro curve strike notch on the blade, though very small (like 1/32 deep curve) is effective and much sharper, and better and safer IMO than the shango notch on the pommel of the TOPS bob. After handling the GSO 4.1 this past week, it is by far the best all around knife I have used.

If I could make one change, I would extend the pommel steel about 1/4 inch to make hammering easier. Also, my knife does not have spine jumping because it was not an option in the latest run of knives, but I always opt for this if available.

Overall, I am very impressed with the GSO 4.1, and it is now my favorite knife in the drawer. If the 3V steel is as good as reported, I doubt I will ever need a spare. I also like the small understated, but distinctive logo, steel type marking, and heat treater info on the blade.

El Gato

Congratulations on the new blade, El Gato. It sounds like you have great taste in quality knives. Altough I have to say I'm a bit jealous!

What color handle and sheath did you choose? Are you able to post any pictures?

Nice knife the 4.1 . There are many very happy owners who have posted how happy they are with them . I haven't got one "yet" but I can see myself looking for one in the near future .
I do have a GSO 5 and a Necker II though and I have been VERY impressed with Guy's work so far :thumbup:

Mike, I know I'm moving into thread hi-jacking territory here, but since you mentioned your 5, can you say where the balance point is? Is it blade heavy or more evenly balanced?

The GSO 5's balance point is right where your index finger fits on the handle . Making it perfectly balanced in the hand .

Mike, your fast response was amazing. You told me exactly what I was hoping to hear. Now waiting to order will be even harder.

El Gato, sorry to temporarily derail your thread. Now back on track... Yay for your new 4.1!!!

The 4.1 does seem like the most talked about and most liked GSO. I'd really like a 4.1 factory second or maybe an SK 4 someday to see what all the excitement is about that size and shape.

Back