Improve "grippyness" on ESSE Micarta scale

Just took delivery of a new ESSE 5, and while disinfecting (Covid19 paranoia) and subsequent oiling, I noticed that the surfaces of the Micarta scales were more “grippy’ while wet. Is that a common characteristic of ALL Micarta scales, or only ESSE scales? Also, doesn’t that suggest that it would be better to use the knife sweaty bare-handed in high-adrenaline circumstances?

The ESSE 5 supposedly was designed for SERE.

One evac-chopper pilot (ex-roommate actually RIP Vietnam) I talked to (going back to the 70s) , and 2 others working for Dyncorp in Guatemala (more roommates) in the 90s told me that they wore custom fitted leather gloves, and said many others did the same. This seems all well and good, but in my experience, wet leather gloves are slippery, and often slimy when thoroughly wet. In the tropics, that is the normal situation in a rain forest during the rainy season. I’m talking Central & South American jungle.

So, what is the consensus on using Micarta handles ....wet? Or with gloved hands? And how can I improve DRY hand “grippyness” without degrading the feel? Should I roughen it? Or is it better to just spit in my hands?

Last edited:
It's a pretty common observation that micarta generally gets gripper when wet.
I wouldn't recommend "roughing it up", the level of texture of micarta has more to do with the size of the fibers it is made with, and doing such will likely just cause fraying.

Perhaps consider replacing the scale with an aftermarket G10 one if you really need the extra grip?

I would not recommend G10 for wet grip ... it can get slippery when wet ... another thing G10 will get colder in winter weather than micarta and can affect how it handles especially without gloves. As far as gloves or not it's more a personal preference I think ... I personally prefer no gloves unless it's cold enough I need them ... if you are aware of your grip in all conditions you shouldn't have much trouble.

Back