Improving Grip on Phenolic Handles?

What should I do to improve the grip (traction) on the black phenolic handles? Automotive wet sandpaper maybe? If yes, which grit? Thanks.

That will work. What ever you have on hand. Try fine, 220. If that doesn't work, you'll know which way to go. DM

Bicycle handlebar tape? How about the camo tape you wrap around your shotgun barrel? You could renew the tape easily and you knife would still be unaltered. Beadblasting? Buck beadblasted some of the phenolic handled 639's. Haebbie has shown pictures of his on here in the past. I had a jar of liquid plastic once, it was used for dipping tool handles in as I recall. Can't remember why I had it or what I used it for.

Last edited:
I started to sand one once and backed off... it felt like I was ruining it.

I would like to try the material Talon grips uses for firearms. It works well for that. No glue, hair dryer seals it together.

I make custom knives and depending on what phenolic it is you can use sand paper. I do recommend a respirator as most of those whether it is g10,micarta or some other put off some pretty nasty dust.
220 grit seems to have an ok feel to me, sometimes I will take a chainsaw file and make some serrations in the handle but that all depends on what the knife is and the look you want to achieve.

Here is an example of what I ment by the chainsaw file and serrations or grooves.
BSaNn4k.jpg

rWc9mzF.jpg

What should I do to improve the grip (traction) on the black phenolic handles? Automotive wet sandpaper maybe? If yes, which grit? Thanks.
An easy way to go is to take an inner tube for a Bicycle, cut it into stripes and wrap it around the handle. that works fine but doesn't look good. For a better look you may use a part of the tube and pull it over the handle. take it a bit longer first, you can shorten it later.

Haebbie

The only other thing you might try and I know a lot of guys who have done it but I have not yet is sand blast the handle lightly. You have to mask off all the parts you don't want hit but a lot of guys say it really leaves a nice texture.

Here are a few ideas from the internet...

• Sand blasted the handle with 220 grit aluminum oxide. And then spread epoxy over the handle and then wrapped it with hemp.
  • Finally I sealed the handle by rubbing in a coating of polyester resin.
34ip6s3.jpg

Another...
http://blog.shanock.com/knife-handle-mod-buck-119/
119mod.jpg

Too bad Buck doesn't offer this option on a standard 119.

IMG_1079a.jpg

I've got a 20 year old 102 woodsman that I just took some medium grit sandpaper and used a swirl motion to rough up the handle. Worked great and doesn't look to bad. Just rough it up wth some sandpaper and go. Don't over think it. Works good with water and fish slime.

I wonder if wrapping the phenolic entirely or just a couple strips of Elk or Buffalo hide would work. You would use waterproof leather glue. All of this could be removed at a later date if needed. I use this method on the handles of the spring hand exercisers and it works great. I do think Buffalo would be better, a Tandy or other leather shop would have what you're looking for...

I also believe artificial sinew would work also. It's waterproof and it can be wrapped extremely tight and probably won't have to be glued. Use TAH's method for wrapping...

Last edited:
Reactions: TAH
Back