In Memory of Thread

propbuildervash

Gold Member
Hey guys,

I wanted to start this thread. This thread is in memory of those who are gone and left us with a love for knives.

Please post a photo of a knife left to you if you still have it, or a irreplaceable momento and a little about the person who left you with the love of knives.

I will start.

155147451_10165101700170441_4594089478960594158_n.jpg

My grandfater Ernest was one of first people who introduced me to the outdoors. He took me camping, digging for crystals, taught me how to shoot, and was an amazing grandfather. He passed away 19 years ago yesterday.

He was extremely poor when he passed away, he lived a humble lifestyle and is sorely missed. I was left the biggest crystal we ever dug up together, his pickup truck binoculars, two service medals and his military issued bayonet.

PSX_20220319_211233.jpg

The knife was from what I gather a 10" M1 bayonet and was made by or sent to Union Fork and Hoe during WWII. At some point it was shortened futher, likely during the war, and converted, probably without approval, to a fighting knife.

When I got it from my mother it was in pretty rough shape. I was too young and unskilled to fix it appropriately and being young I didnt want anything happenening to it. So I stored it away for about 17 years at my moms. When I really got back into knives during the 2020 quarantine, I pulled it out, I cleaned it up. I dont care about its collectability if any, it means far more to me sentimentally. I then did as my grandfater did, I modified it a touch, nothing as major as Grandpa did. I cleaned up the blade, I carefully and lightly sanded out the pits and damage from decades of neglect. I replaced the damaged screws and had the whole blade/hilt cerakoted to protect it for another 70 years as I believe its 1080 carbon steel. It is wildly sharp, and means the world to me.

Last edited:
Back