In Praise of the Alox Farmer-Is there Anything it Cannot Do?

Lately I've been thinking on a Silky. Which model is that, and large or medium teeth, please?

Znapschatz, Just got back from a short overnight trip to NH and stayed up in the boreal forest around 3000'. For the fun of it, I took my Emberlit stove and cut up some dead fall balsam fir (or maybe spruce?). Here is a shot while I was sectioning the wood.

Silky Pocket Boy 170 by Pinnah, on Flickr

The fir was pretty hard, which isn't surprising given the short growing seasons up there. The Pocket Boy handled it but by time I was done, I was glad I also had my Trangia because, honestly, it's a lot of work to brew up some tea.

Note, the location I was at is fairly high traffic with plenty of signage discouraging fires so it's not like was going to harvest different wood. In any event, it was enough to convince me that if my camping regularly required wood processing (it doesn't, I generally carry a Trangia or similar) the decision wouldn't be between a Farmer (or a Leatherman with a saw) versus a Silky. It would be between a Silky and a true folding buck saw like a Sven Saw.

I do think small saws like that on the Farmer (or my Leatherman tools) are handy in the shop for small jobs. But not convinced about their utility in the woods.

The awl being used as an ice pick to break up a large chunk of stubborn ice. Saved the day for my off duty overnight assignment ��

Znapschatz, Just got back from a short overnight trip to NH and stayed up in the boreal forest around 3000'. For the fun of it, I took my Emberlit stove and cut up some dead fall balsam fir (or maybe spruce?). Here is a shot while I was sectioning the wood.

Silky Pocket Boy 170 by Pinnah, on Flickr

The fir was pretty hard, which isn't surprising given the short growing seasons up there. The Pocket Boy handled it but by time I was done, I was glad I also had my Trangia because, honestly, it's a lot of work to brew up some tea.

Note, the location I was at is fairly high traffic with plenty of signage discouraging fires so it's not like was going to harvest different wood. In any event, it was enough to convince me that if my camping regularly required wood processing (it doesn't, I generally carry a Trangia or similar) the decision wouldn't be between a Farmer (or a Leatherman with a saw) versus a Silky. It would be between a Silky and a true folding buck saw like a Sven Saw.

I do think small saws like that on the Farmer (or my Leatherman tools) are handy in the shop for small jobs. But not convinced about their utility in the woods.

Yeah, I'm coming around to your view, reluctantly because I like to think small. There is always this balancing act between utility and how much you can carry. Way back, a few extra pounds didn't matter so much, but more and more as I get older, ounces count(ses.) Thanx for your thoughts.

The awl being used as an ice pick to break up a large chunk of stubborn ice. Saved the day for my off duty overnight assignment ��

I suppose one can do that with the butt end of a Silly Pocket Boy, which BTW, conveniently disappears in one's pant pocket; assuming of course your pant size is 50" x 60".;)

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm coming around to your view, reluctantly because I like to think small. There is always this balancing act between utility and how much you can carry. Way back, a few extra pounds didn't matter so much, but more and more as I get older, ounces count(ses.) Thanx for your thoughts.

znapschatz, I have few thoughts and the best we can do is swap stories....

I'll be posting to the outdoors sub-forum on this point in more detail soon and we can take the conversation over there but I should really emphasize that my general approach to wood processing in the woods is to not do it and rely on a light stove. It's lighter, is more convenient and causes less impact locally on the places I visit.

Putting it another way... if the point of camping for somebody is to process wood (and that's legitimate in some places and some folks find it fun) that's one thing. I find that approach to be frustrating personally. I would rather be hiking to the next mountain or pond or whatever. Cooking is a means to an end, not and end in and of itself.

99.6% of the time I'm in the woods, I have no saw of any kind.

In the shop, they are useful. In this light, I think the Farmer is perfectly named - good for farm/shop type work.

EDITED to Add: discussion of wood processing where I hike here:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1229432-Why-I-prefer-Alcohol-Gas-to-Wood-stoves

Last edited:
These Farmer pics are awesome! Keep 'em coming in... What a champion among pocket knives :)
Ah, no, the Champion is a champion among pocket knives.

I will always have a SAK on me. They're just great knives.

SwissChampion1.JPG

SwissChampion2.JPG

Last edited:
I give Vicorinox Farmers as gifts to my Nephews for graduation.This one small knife can make fires,shelters,traps and the list goes on and on.I lace a small fire steel in the lanyard so it's there if they ever need it.

Wish one of them had scissors
11iedg7.jpg

Side story I dropped my soldier outside from up a tree and couldn't find it (its green and black). After a week of heavy rain it turns up and not even a spot of rust on it. Just had to oil it. :D

Last edited:
My red one finally came! This red alox looks way better in person. Almost like a candy apple red. Awesome!
20150213_172801_zpsemax2wir.jpg

20150213_173104_zps4coblblc.jpg

I love the farmer! I only have two but I have more in my sights. Stay tuned.

:thumbup::thumbup:

They can really get under your skin!!! Farmers are probably the only ALOX I'll be looking at for the foreseeable future...have enough Pioneers/Solders but only six Farmers.

:thumbup::thumbup:

They can really get under your skin!!! Farmers are probably the only ALOX I'll be looking at for the foreseeable future...have enough Pioneers/Solders but only six Farmers.

Doctor, I fear we have a severe case of AloxPox here!! :D:thumbup::D

Your red one is awesome, Pandora's Pockets!

- GT

Back