industrial muffle furnace for HT

I have a chance to buy a 240 V industrial furnace from Thermofisher (at a good price)
It's programmable with ramp and hold and large at 14x14x14.
It's a thermolyne 30400
  • Heating elements are on chamber top, bottom and sides for enhanced temperature uniformity

any reason this would not be suitable for HT of knife blades?

It's known as a muffle furnace. desc from the internet -

"The defining characteristic of a muffle furnace is that it separates the object to be heated from all by products of combustion from the heat source. With modern electrical furnaces, this means heat is applied to a chamber through induction or convection by a high-temperature heating coil inside an insulated material. The insulating material effectively acts as a muffle, preventing heat from escaping. A well-built muffle furnace can reach extremely high temperatures with a high degree of uniformity and accuracy, while preserving the purity of the chamber environment."

Only issue is the size, which will work for most knives. Try and avoid putting the tip right at the back wall or in the corner. Otherwise, it is a great oven.

so I bought this furnace
it comes with ceramic shelves, however the shelves broke
any suggestions to salvage these shelves? someway to support to them...
is using a ceramic floor tile in the furnace an option?

I can buy replacement shelves but I'd like to see if I can use this broken ones
sAvRBq1.jpg

geX8Oxq.jpg

thanks

You could try a high heat mortar. May hold up for a few heats. Add SS welding rod rebar and it should last a lot longer. All methods will probably cost more than a new kiln shelf (maybe $15) if you dont have the repair materials on hand.

Maybe I am missing something, but if the shelf is 14X14 why not slide the pieces in just as they are? Put the 14" length from side to side.

There are tons of normal kiln shelves. They may not work with the built in rack (but i bet you could find one that is a bit big and trim it down). Either way, they come in all kinds of sizes and with little columns to rest them on

16X8 is a standard size, which should be reasonably easy to cut down to 13.8". They run about $25. They don't have all those holes, but should work fine if you leave the extra space both front and rear for convection.

A lot of the "basic" kiln shelves are really sensitive to quick cooling/heating, and will crack super fast, or sag, however, there are TONs of different materials they used to make specialty kiln shelves, like high alumina, or silicon carbide. Just do a little research, or ask a specialty pottery equipment supplier.. Most good outfits can get anything you need, cut to any size you need.

Back