infernal tape glue

I've some how ended up getting tape glue on the inside of my folding knife (benchmade 921). I can't figure out how to get the stuff out now. I've tried various cleaners for tape scum (zippo fluid, goo gone, etc) and it seems to help for about 20 minutes (also tried to expel the stuff while wet with said solutions with an air compressor but that didn't help any).

I don't particuarly want to take the thing apart, I'd rather keep the warranty on it, but I'm open to trying different things before I send it to them to take care of it. any ideas I can try?

Maybe call or email the company that makes it and ask them what they suggest to remove it.

Dry cleaning fluid or automotive brake cleaner may do it.

I've found that WD40 works fine for removing tape residue. Try squirting some on a Q-tip and giving it a slight rub.
Regards,
Greg

I'd recomend a liberal dousing with WD40. It will stay solvent for longer than a cleaner alone, and you can work and wick the sludge out with a Q-Tip© or paper towel. Then clean with a solvent cleaner.
Let us know.

Coop

What they said, after using the cleaner(wd40, goo gone, etc) you need to physically remove the stuff that it was trying to dissolve, otherwise the cleaner will just evaporate and the residue will still be there. I prefer Q-tips for larger handle wells, If the residue isn't too far in you can use a toothbrush to scrub it loose then wipe it out with a paper towel. Toothpicks with a cleaning patch, a bamboo chopstick and a rag, etc work great too. For light cleaning I find a folding a paper towel until it's thick enough to slide in the well works great.

WD40 (the duct tape of the 21st century) and a pipe cleaner (I think they still make 'em).

I know this is going to sound weird, but use mayonaise... a paper towel wrapped around a stiff feeler gauge will get into the tight areas...An antique dealer I met told me about using this on valuable peices she picked up that had stickers from yard sales on them....not sure why it works... apply and let sit for a while, then you should be able to wipe the glue off....It works for me, give it a try, you've probably got everything you need in the kitchen. Then you can clean off the mayo with 409 cleaner and oil her back up! :D

Go to a dry cleaner and see you can get some of the chemical that they use to remove glue and bubble gum. If I remember correctly it's amylacetate or something like that. It turns the gum into little specks of crystal that you can brush or flush away. But you can't use it around plastics and the like.

Never use dry cleaning solvents tetrachloraetheylen(??)... whatever it's spelled. It removes oils and most plastics are made from.... It can make plastics crystalize and fall apart depending on there makeup or turn them to sludge.

thanks for all the suggestions. the benchmade 921 in question is super thin (enough that I have to cut some cotton off of a q-tip to be able to fit it inside the handle and the tape glue had gotten itself into the washers (bushings I guess is the correct term?). the only thing that I can fit in there is a piece of paper (not folded in any way as it gets too thick).

Anyway, I did finally fix it. I basically totally submerged it in Goo-Gone for an 8-hour period and let it set (went to work carrying a fixed blade... my backup). came back home, took an old toothbrush and went crazy with it. washed it all up w/ hot water and re-Militec'ed it.

I was just worried that any solvent I used would harm the annodized finish on the handle scales so I didn't do it earlier.

Good to hear, I was under the impression that the mess was adhesive on the blade that had gotten stuck to the inside of the handles, not the actual pivot area.

Does anyone have any idea how to remove a blob of epoxy from a balde?

An CS peacekeeper was used to open a tube of epoxy and a bit of it stuck
to the blade. And yes it is hard as rock.....

what kind of epoxy? denatured alcohol is often the solvent for many epoxys (or just some regular old grain alcohol, the denatured just means its grain alcohol with poison so it can be sold cheaper and without restrictions :))

Acetone is a good solvent for epoxies. Immersion in boiling water will soften/break the bond of some epoxies.
Regards,
Greg

Back