1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Info about Gerorge Herron Subhilt

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by baffone, May 20, 2019.

1. baffone

baffone

Dec 20, 2013
    Hi, i just bought this vintage subhilt of George Herron, it is marked 1275 and i need to know which year it is made.
    1275 is the number on the tang and also on the sheath.
    I don't know also the steel used but searching about his knives a think is 154 CM, the blade is mirror polished.

Thanks for your help

Pietro
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Odog27, fq55, Stumpy and 4 others like this.
  2. baffone

baffone

Dec 20, 2013
    I read another tread where a n. 800 was made in 1975....
    The old owner told me it was made during '80 but he don't know which year exactly

3. TAH

TAH Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2001
    George was living in Aiken, South Carolina when he started making knives in the 1960s. He consecutively numbered his knives as they were finished. Around 1985, he moved to Springfield, South Carolina and his numbering system started over at #1. The thread that said #800 was made in 1975 is probably true. It was #800 made in Aiken.

In 1986, I purchased a new fighter directly from him #187. In 1997, I purchased a new hunter directly from him #2252. Doing some quick math, he made approximately 188 knives per year. I would say your knife #1275 was made around 1992+/-. Blade steel is 154CM. Looks like an elephant ivory handle.

Beautiful knife, BTW. George was one of the masters and a super nice gentleman. :thumbsup:

4. baffone

baffone

Dec 20, 2013
    Thanks a lot TAH, your comment was very precious for me!!

TAH likes this.
  5. TAH

Jul 3, 2001
    I guess this is a good opportunity to show off more of George's work. :)

[​IMG]

6. TAH

Jul 3, 2001
    baffone,

Forgot to mention that George didn't make many sub-hilt fighters. Your knife is a very special piece, especially being elephant ivory.

Ron Sabbagh and baffone like this.
  7. baffone

baffone

Dec 20, 2013
    Thank you very mouch, i think i've paid it a very good price, less then 700$

8. TAH

Jul 3, 2001
    Less than $700 is an excellent price! Does the ivory have any checks or cracks? Don't forget to rub mineral oil on the ivory at least once a year.

9. baffone

baffone

Dec 20, 2013
    There is a little crack but it was repaired directly froma maker. Thanks

10. Jsega51

Jsega51 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    @TAH, thanks for the dating info. I have a skinner that is numbered 119 (after his move).

ISKski and TAH like this.
  11. TAH

Jul 3, 2001
    The blade and tang markings will also help indicate if the knife was made in Aiken or Springfield. Aiken blades were stamped "Herron" on the ricasso with a hand inscribed number on the tang. Springfield blades were etched "Herron" on the blade with an etched number on the tang. Here are a couple of examples from the internet to show the difference:

Aiken (stamped name and hand inscribed number)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Springfield (etched name and etched number)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

baffone likes this.
  12. TAH

Jul 3, 2001
    baffone,

Checking my old Herron notes and articles that I collected over the years, George made approximately 75 total subhilts.

Jsega51 and baffone like this.
  13. baffone

baffone

Dec 20, 2013
    Only 75, wow

14. TAH

Jul 3, 2001
  15. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Sub hilts are notoriously hard to make. Bob Loveless said he could make a dozen hunters in the time it took him to make a subhilt. Ditto Walter Brend.

Pietro, that knife is drop dead gorgeous.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  16. baffone

baffone

Dec 20, 2013
    Thanks a lot Ron