Info and opinions on Ontario's SP15 LSA knife?

I have one on order because...well, it just seems kind'a unique. I just collect knives and other doodads (a collection that I call my "Man Gadget Collection"). Anyhow... very little info pops up when one googles this knife. Basically all that pops up are it's factory specs and where it's being sold.
But, I am curious to know more about it. Questions that come to mind...
When was it introduced?
Why the Land, Sea, Air designation? (Any knife can be pushed into whatever use, when nothing else is handy, but why this specific title for this particular model)?
Is the blade design unique to the SP15, or does it borrow from another model (of theirs, or someone elses)?
Has it ever received a contract for professional use?
Is it considered a dagger, and if not... what catagory of fixed blade is it considered to be?
The serrations, what are their main use purpose?

This knife intrigues me, and will be a neat addition to my other Ontario knives... especially for it's unique look that it will bring to my collection.
Any info and/or opinions that you may share about this particular model, will be greatly appreciated :)

Btw, the nearest knives that I own that kind'a/sort'a comes close to these sp15 knives, are my Glock knives. But, they are still pretty darned different ;-)

2cwlpjd.jpg

Received my Ontario SP15 today (and my Task Force Dagger Ontario P4). Anyhow, here is the SP15 :)

Again, unique... I like it! :)

Last edited:
Very true... very true! ;)
Again, Glock's firearms are not considered pretty by anyone that I personally know... But, they have that strictly business appearance about them that kind'a says "I ain't here to look pretty" ;)
And, yes, I am a Glock owner and fan, just as I am of Ontario knives (and it's ugly SP15 LSA model) :)

I bought a used one a few years ago, with the previous Mark-series hard sheath. It was rusty (undisclosed by the seller) but otherwise flawless. I cleaned it up, bought a new sheath for it and . . . it sits in a box. I like it but can't think of any situations where it'd be more practical than a number of other knives I own.

Yeah, I'm still curious to know more about the idea(s) behind this model. Since all I do with these knives is collect... they all reside in some sort of box, lol! ;)

A couple examples of this...

whnwp0.jpg

This is where I ended up putting my SP15.... it fitting right in with the others :)

oa85mv.jpg

Last edited:
Zombie thread, I know. However, I've recently become interested in this knife and would just like some general opinions, especially if you have owned and used one. Thanks!

Back