info needed

I am in the process of packing up my room, moving to a new place after I get
married in 4 weeks (4 weeks!!!)
Anyhow, I came upon this one knife that I don't remember buying, must have
been a present...but I know nothing about it.
Its a small pocket knife, with 2 locking blades. The large blade reads
"Schrade Walden NY" on it.

The scales are a fake pearlish pattern, yellowish with brown. The blade open
by a push button on the sides, and can be locked open or closed with a
sliding lock. I can bust out the digital camera if needed.

Anyone have any info on these? I haven't looked on the web yet, so shame on
me if its easy to find.

Thanks,

Ted

Ted,
Email dchase@schradeknives.com

You will get an answer, or at least I did. Give the description and any model # on the tang or blade.
smile.gif

------------------
teacher

Hi I thought I sent you a reply on your question what you have is either a 2,7/8", 3,3/8" or 3,3/4" schrade double ender auto ( most likely in celluloid or pyraline depending on the tang marking and style either Schrade Walden ( 46? - 72) or Schrade Cut pre 46. These knives are of interest to me as a collector in working or non working condition. If you need more info or wish to sell please let me know. I hope this helps Rich

------------------

Hello,

Yes you did reply, sorry I didn't get back to you...the knife was at work.

Ok, so the large blade is 1 3/4" long (edge), the short blade is 1 1/4" or so (at the edge)...Each side of the knife has both a slider (lock?) and a button.
The smaller blade locks fine, and when the button is pressed the blade pops open. The large blade locks, but I think the mechanism isn't working right, the button doesn't pop the blade open, the lock does. The only markings on the large blade are Schrade Walden NY.

Hope that helps. And all together, with both blades open, the knife is about 7" long.

Thanks,

Ted

[This message has been edited by tedsplinter (edited 05-08-2001).]

I cannot understand why just because you either just have or are just about to get married that this knife matter is not more important to you. A good knife will last a lifetime will never let you down if treated right and won't turn against you as long as you keep it in hand and guide its direction. Oh well so much for an old man's philosophy. The simplest way to tell which of the three sizes of double ender auto you have is to measure the piece closed that way what ever may have been done to the blades is unimportant. I would guess yours is a 3,3/8". You have some worn parts which are causing the lock to fire the blade. Apparently the springs are OK. I could send an exploded view or the patent but truthfully there could be several reasons and you cannot be sure until you open them up. I am attaching a copy of a couple of pages from a catalogue near that time frame. Yours is a Schrade walden made under that tang from 46-48? until 58 when the laws changed. I am always interested in these knives working or not if you need any further info my email is lt632ret@frontiernet.net . The first character in this a small L not a one. PS Good luck the smartest thing I ever did in life was marry my wife of 37 years.
View

------------------

[This message has been edited by lt632ret (edited 05-08-2001).]

[This message has been edited by lt632ret (edited 05-09-2001).]

Well look at that, it is a 3 3/8ths, now I know what you mean by that though. I thought you meant blade length, hahaha...yeah the wedding is coming up. My brain is not working!
Thank you very much for the information. Are they repairable? Or does it depend on actually being able to see it to know if it is repairable? I think I'll keep it for my collection, seeing as its probably one of the only knives that I have that is worth anything at all. I just wish I could remember how I got it!

Thanks,

Ted

Everything is repairable with new parts however finding people to do it (correctly) are fairly rare, as are new parts. Also you can only guess by the symptoms you do not really know until you open them up and usually that causes more problems ( remember that little knife may be 55 years old and it is a mechanism designed to move which wears things out ). Value is determined by many factors which I will not go into. However now that you are entering a new state of grace (marriage) perhapes you should consider just putting the knife away until you have a son so that you can show him an example of what a knife was like when men were men and often carried these dangerous outlawed weapons of destruction legally. I suppose by that time forks and spoons will have to be signed out and returned at each meal. By the way since the handles on your knife are probably celluloid do not store it in a drawer, (or with other knives ) or in bright light or in an area with large temperature swings. To do so will give you some unwanted information of the nature of celluloid poisoning in which the handles virtually rot and if in a closed area give off a gas that rusts anything near it. Best of luck in your upcoming endeaver contact me if you have any problems (er) regarding the knife. Rich

------------------

[This message has been edited by lt632ret (edited 05-10-2001).]

Thanks for the help Rich. I'll find a good place to store it...lets just hope the feds don't bust down my door and take me away for owning such a deadly weapon! Better not find the rest of my newer collection...eek-gads...I can only image what they'd say!

Ted

Back