Photos Info on bowie knife

Hello all. New to this site and wanted to get more info on a bowie knife I had found.

The stamped markings are "Original Bowie Knife" one the flat side and "Baron Solingen Germany" by the brass guard. There is also a brass nut with a slot at the end which I presume screws onto the tang holding what looks like a stag handle.

It was in rough shape when I found it but no chips on the edge. Seems to be more of a chopper rather than slicer

Does anyone have any info on these knife? The sheath is not original but I am a knife enthusiast and can appreciate a knife for what it is. I am thinking campfire/light kitchen chores or something.

Any insight would be appreciated. Cheers.

Baron was a post WWII brand, some books have them active 1950 - 68, but not much more is known about them. The knives were typical post WWII import style.

Thanks for the reply. So this is genuine solingen steel and not made in China? Sounds funny but I've actually seen a kitchen knife with "Geuine Solingen" acid etched as well as "Made In China".
The knife looks sturdy enough. What is the general consensus of solingen?

Is it this one?

ZeHYJyi.jpg

Pamela_Voorhees-e1575300543784.jpg

vendredi-13-1980-bkmmea.jpg

That's the one they used as a prop in the first Friday The 13:th movie. :D

Seems like I recall seeing both Japan and Germany and stainless as well as carbon steel "Original Bowie" knives from back in the 70's. Whoever imported them must have had numerous different vendors over time.

From what I've been able to establish, this is probably a 50s-60s vintage knife. Mass produced for the export market, probably do ok at general tasks but would not be in the same league as a modern day 'bushcraft' or camp knife.
Solingen is the German Sheffield.
I would rate a vintage KaBar over it for useability, it would make a nice knife to display though.

Yeah, these still would've been made in Germany at the time. I see the sheath says Lamplough Cutlery, they were a big Canadian importer. I'm not sure if they're still in business, but they were a few years ago.

Lamplough Cutlery - 5501 Rue Vanden Abeele, Saint-Laurent, QC H4S 1S1, Canada, 1-514-335-7883 .

The sheath is not original, that much I know about it. Still it's an odd piece of memorabilia, reminds me of my boyscout days.

Cheers all and thanks for the info.

Back