Info on Crucible Airdi 150....D2E?

Question for those who work with Crucible's version of D2 (Airdi 150). It seems like a lot of knifemakers are referring to Crucible's Airdi 150 as D2-Enhanced/D2E. There's been mention of Crucible's strict controlled production process which makes it favorable among some knifemakers. But is there some major difference in Crucible's D2 chemistry that sets it apart from other D2's? Does D2E provide any better corrosion resistance?

The chemistry below is for Airdi 150 I got off of Crucible's website.

Carbon 1.55%
Manganese 0.35%
Silicon 0.45%
Chromium 11.50%
Molybdenum 0.90%
Vanadium 0.80%

Is this the D2E knife makers are referring to?

I also found this other composition for Crucible's D2 (not from Crucible directly), which shows an increase in various elements, including chromium, as well as the addition of other components.

Carbon 1.67%
Manganese 0.35%
Silicon 0.45%
Chromium 12.27%
Molybdenum 0.90%
Vanadium 1.13%
Nickel 0.27%
Tungsten 0.25%

There's been mention of an increase in corrosion resistance in D2E, unofficially. With the higher chromium content (not sure if there would be alot free chromium, though) in this chemical makeup, could this be D2E?

Any input that can clear this up for me would be greatly appreciated. Any feedback on the corrosion resistance of D2E vs. regular D2 would be appreciated as well.
Thanks.

Doggy,
Couple years ago I was talking to one of the guys at Crucible about D2. He told me he had some older stuff (8-10 years old) that was offered at a great price. I ordered alot of it and MikeO and I are still using this D2. It is marked 12.50% chrome and the remainder of ingredients are the same as their normal D2 AirDi 150. I passed the info on to several other makers and it got bought up fairly quickly. Can't remember who coined the D2E (enhanced) term.
Great steel with a high resistance to rust. As far as I know, that supply was sold out. I haven't checked on any more of it.

Back