Info on Peter Herbst model

Wemt into my local dealer today, and ran across this model. He says no longer made, because of quality problems.
Came home and just ran a search, can't find out much, but noticed a post of last year where Sal says this model will be re-introduced this year.
Will it? With what changes?
How is this knife assembled, I noticed a pivot screw, but cannot ascertain how the sides are secured to each other.
The only poor quality I could see was the back spacer was cut aslant at the end.
Felt like a fine knife in opening and closing, but I worry about adjusting for stop pin wear if necessary. Are they still covered by warranty, ie, can you adjust stop pin if necessary. No, I don't abuse by flicking hard.
Could yoou give direction on recommended retail price, as I am leaning toward purchasing.

Your dealer was partially correct.
They were discontinued for quality problems. But no knives with quality problems ever hit the street. They were made in Germany by Boker (who had the problem). They could not consistently pass Spyderco's rigid quality standards. Thanks to Sal, every Spyderco knife must meet his standards before it can leave Spyderco.

If you have found one, buy it! They are an excellent knife and I am sure will escalate in value over time. Even now they are in demand but cannot be found.

They were made in plain and 50/50 blades. The retail price was 169.95.

GHood luck - you won't be sorry. I kept one for my personal use as a dress knife. They have a very smooth action.

------------------
John F Jensen
"Your Quality Distributor"
619-475-3633

Another note regards the C53P or C53PS Peter Hearbst.

Spyderco does plan to reintroduce this model. However, it will undergo some redesign and will not be made in Germany.

What I am trying to say is the new ones will not be the same as the original. And knowing Spydero's (Sal's) prolific mind of ideas and collaberations, I doubt we'll see the new this year.

------------------
John F Jensen
"Your Quality Distributor"
619-475-3633

Thank you John for that information.
biggrin.gif

I have the Peter Herbst models in stock if anyone is interested...plain and serrated versions....NIB.
Patti @ IDB

Today I went back to the shop and layed it out on the counter and compared it to my small Sebenza. The handle of the Herbst is a little longer, and overall the Sebenza outclassed it, but we are talking at a much greater price. Opening and closing the Herbst, and checking all aspects of the construction and fit, and just the smooth solid click of how it opened and shut sold me. The owner of the shop said "Lay it away", so of course I did.
My first Spyderco in years.

[This message has been edited by ThomM (edited 03-01-2000).]

Not to dispute what anybody has posted here, however I'd be interested to hear from Mr. Gleaser or Spyderco if they Herbst Model was actually made by Böker in Solingen and if they'd discontinued production because of quality problems.

I'm asking because I was in Solingen a few weeks ago to have 100 knives of my own design Mini Thorn hollow ground by a firm there. These people - it was NOT, I repeat NOT Böker - weren't able to grind the blades. After 3 1/2 hours and 18 of my blanks ruined they gave up and are now trying to say that bent tips are to be expected and I have to pay them. I don't think so.

I'm concerned because recently Fallkniven (sp?) no longer has their knives made in Solingen and I wonder if the famous "German quality" is all it's cracked up to be?

I'd like to hear what Mr. Gleaser has to say on this point - and I'd be really thankful if he could give me the name of a company who might be able to grind a few knives for me... without bent tips.

BTW Peter Herbst is one of Germany's great knifemakers and both his folders and his fixed blade knives are of the absolute finest quality. I'm sure he'll make you a knife himself if you'd like.

------------------
Totally new website!
www.wilkins-knives.com

The Fallkniven F1, now made in Seki City and probably made by Moki, were originally made in Solingen by Linder. The fit and finish of the Seki City product is superior to the Linder product - the blades are straight, for one thing. And Linder is not Boker. A "search" here in the "main" and "reviews" forums might bring up comments from people with more Boker experience than I have.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

Hi Jim,

I wasn't really looking for info about Böker, but rather am interested in Spyderco's experiences getting anything made in Solingen.

I've never been inside the Böker plant, but as I understand it they have recently moderized their facilities.

Interesting to find out the Fallknives was made by Linder.

My first attempt to have anything made in Solingen was a disaster. I'm currently talking to another firm about finishing the 100 knife run and if they aren't able to do it, I'm certainly looking for another manufacturer in Japan or the USA who can.

------------------
Totally new website!
www.wilkins-knives.com

I personally don'think it is a good business practice to name vendors or subcontractors. Sorry. Email might provide more info, but prefer to keep that info off of the general info market like the WEB.

sal

Back