Information/Comparison on HI CAK and M43?

dfsutton

Basic Member
Hi,

I'm very interested in purchasing a Himalayan Imports Khukuri. After browsing the website, I like two models: the M43 and the Chiruwa Ang Khola.
I was wondering if I could get some more specific information (blade length, Overall length, blade thickness, weight, etc.) on these two models. Also information comparing the two and their intended functions would be great. Thanks.

Dude, I literally thought the same exact thing like 3 days ago...I went to the HI website, they have the general specs of their khukuris. I decided to go with the CAK because using it as a prybar is covered in the warrantee, making it the most badass hardcore use khukuri IMO. Plus it's cheaper. I want to get one for heavy use, and then a lighter one, like the Chitlangi, kobra, or Sirupati, to use for martial arts.

I was going through the same situation about a month ago.
I discovered HI while searching for the best of the best khukuris and parangs. I learned that HI is a true fair trading business that has actual human interest in the people who make the products, their culture and hard labor showing in every item made. That said, it was a mad ping-pong between which model would be my first and I was in the same boat as you looking at the Chiruwa, 20" AK and the M-43. I went with the Chiruwa Ang Khola and was sent one at 16" with a satin finish.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...ruwa-Ang-Khola
I made this decision because I wanted something in average length, not a giant but not small, I wanted a "mid-ranged" HI blade to really get an idea of how it felt and performed before going bigger or smaller.
The CAK that Yangdu sent is so radical,,, such an intense piece of steel. I am 6'3 and find the size of this blade to be perfect for just about anything big or small. It's warrantied use as a pry bar pushed my decision over the top and I can use with one hand comfortably where I have seen recent reviews of the M43 being used with two hands. IMHO the Chiruwa Ang Khola is an ideal first blade from HI and respectively a unique item in their line of products.
My next two HI blades will be the HI Farm Knife (as I love a parang style) and then the AK Bowie. For a second khukuri I am looking at the 20" AK (because I like the fullers better on this model then M-43) or perhaps to find an older smasher or bone crusher,,, although I am sure that when I am ready to order my mega-beast I will have changed my mind again!
good luck, let us know what you go with and be sure to throw up a review!
cheers

OK. I feel confident in the two choices, however i just can't figure out the size of the M-43. I don't seem to be able to find anything on the HI site that shows the approximate size. I understand these are all hand-made items, so they will vary in size and design to a certain degree. However, it would be helpful to know if the M-43 is 19-20" or 16-17", etc. Anyone know this information?

Generally they are made at 18".
There is a smaller variant that sometimes comes up at 15".

18" seams to be the norm for M43's. 18" is +/- .5".

All of the M43's that I've played with over the years have felt really good in hand, almost special. The one CAK that I held felt pretty good too, but I lean more towards the M43. So, that's my recommendation.

Back