Information on Busse Bolo?

Ad

I have seen photos of what, I guess, is a Busse bolo knive. It's about the same size as the Battle Mistress. Does anyone have any information on this knife, i.e. when it was made, it's dimensions, etc? Are there any out there for sale and, if so, how much do they run? It is a beautiful knife. Thanks. P.S. I've got this bug pretty bad; I can't wait until the Blade Show West comes around in a couple months.

Ad,

The bolo was the brainchild of Andy Prisco many moons ago. It is the same size as the BM-E with a recurved satin-finished blade. The handle is a quilted black micarta that feels great in the hand. Every now and again one will pop up on the forums but the price has increased dramatically since their introduction.

Officially named After Shock, it carries well, chops like a dream, and is really tough as nails. I used mine just days after receiving it to clear fallen trees after a nasty wind storm here in Illinois. The neighbors only stared on my way TO the tree... ;)

Thanks for the information. Do you have any idea how much they run? Is there any chance I may see one for sale at the Blade Show West in California in September? I think it is one of the nicest (if not the nicest) looking Busse knives I have seen. Do you think it handles better than the standard Battle Mistress E? Also, do you have any information on the jungle assault Battle Mistress? The blade shape/design of these knives is very exotic. Again, thanks.

Thank you for being so helpful. I really have the hots for a big Busse knife; it will be my first Busse. I like the looks of the bolo, but would like to hold the knives first to feel their balance before purchasing. I plan to go to the Blade Show West in September. I will call the Busse team and see, if they have any bolos left in stock, if they can bring one to the show. I can see how you guys get hooked on these knives.

Ad,

If you want to stay clear of the Busse Combat Habit, then be sure to steer clear of Papa Thud. He is the West Coast "Huggy Bear" of Busse's. With the way he has of hooking people, it's a good thing that his passion is Busse Knives or he'd probably be in jail. ;)

Yours in Nucleaddictions,

Jerry Busse

Gotta love 'im. I can't wait until the September show. That bolo is about the sexiest knive I've ever seen.

Mr. Busse, what is the concept behind the shape of the bolo? It looks like it may have the same chopping capacity as a heavier knife, but it's somewhat lighter and more streamlined. It also looks like it's pretty good for thrusts. Like I said before, it's about the sexiest knife I've ever seen. Thank you.

Ad, Jerry can probably add more, but one of the most important things about the bolo-shaped blade is that it has a "sweet spot". The sweet spot of the bolo is the portion of the edge that is curved (slightly or more pronounced, depending on the design of the bolo). That area is the place best suited to chopping, and when you hit a tree (for example) with the sweet spot, a shearing effect occurs, and chopping is enhanced (vs. a completely straight-edged blade). The bolo design is an excellent design for chopping.

BTW, if the bolos aren't already sold out, and you order from Busse Combat, there are a few things you may want to know. If you plan on making the bolo a real user, you can get it with canvas micarta scales (which are more grippy than the slightly prettier and standard paper micarta). Also, but I'm not sure about this, I think you can get the bolo crinkle-coated.

My first Busse was an After Shock.........
I now have $9000.00 of the critters???????
they are like the "Tribles" they just keep multipling.

I agree with 1whobuys. This time last year I didn't own a single Busse knife. Now after hearing MTF3(Melvin Ford) talk about his knife that could chop trees down!!! Then meeting Andre Dumouchel at the Northeast Mississippi Gun and knife show where he had more Busse knives than Busse Combat Knife Co. had at the Blade show. I gave in and got my first Busse a N.O. I now have 8. So saying all of that go ahead buy the Bolo you will buy more!!!!!!!! The Bolo will just be your first. Your second could be a Mr. Mojo then for your third maybe get a smaller Busse like Battle Mistress. We all need to buy more knives so Jerry can buy his wife a new Porsche Boxter.

These guys are not kidding, Busse knives are extremely addictive. Relating to another post, I wish I had picked up a bolo that was offered to me two months ago, the price was great, unfortunately not all of my brain cells participated in that decision :D I've got my second STBM on its way to me now, and I'm selling my soul to raise money for a ZT set. Man are they nice knives...

Dark Nemesis,
What's a Soul going for these days? I could use a little extra cash and have trying to find a way to raise it. ;) :D

Back