Inkosi blade on ceramic

Ernie1980

Gold Member
During lunch my daughter asked to use my knife to peel her apple slices because all the restaurant provided was a butter knife. I pondered handing her my keychain knife but figured she wanted something a little larger and instead gave her my Inkosi. She was using a coaster to cut on, which is what I has asked her to do, when I got up to use the restroom. I was walking back, and heard this horrible scraping sound as I approached our table. My wife had decided that the apples needed to be cut on a ceramic plate, and the sound I heard was my daughter using the Inkosi blade to scrape all of the peelings into the center of the plate! I had a nice flat section to sharpen out when we got back home:confused:

Oh man I love that. I once let a (very) past GF use a Sebenza to work on a costume she was making when I heard my buddy say “I bet Arch wouldn’t like you doing that with his knife”... (that’s not a good thing to hear! ). She was cutting sections of poster board out against a concrete patio. ‍♂️. Like putting her weight behind it too. I sharpened it out with a Sharpmaker no problemo. Then I bought her a knife.

Well it does have a ceramic ball detent. I think it will be ok with a sharpen as archieblue archieblue says he did with his. You’ve got a great story behind your Inkosi now.

It sharpened out easily, I was able to hit it with a 1k stone briefly and then strop it back to shaving sharp. My daughter needs to use the knife I bought her!

That’s why I don’t let anyone use my favorite sharp knives anymore. My brother did the same thing with a knife I let him use while we were fishing. It wasn’t a CRK ( don’t trust him that much ), but it was M390. When he handed it back, the whole edge was flat. To this day he swears all he did was cut some line with it. I did manage to cut a cable tie with one of my CRK’s that had a stainless wire in the middle of it that I didn’t know about until I flattened about a third of the tip. And it was on a toy of all things :mad:

I don’t let my knives to people who are not into knives as IMO most people doesn’t really know how to use knives
For most people a knife is a disposable tool that is inexpensive and can be thrown away and easily replaced when it is damaged in a way or another

I care about having a knife on me because I think it is useful every days
If people doesn’t anticipate they will need to have a sharper tools on them, then they have to « learn » and to make their experience.... not giving them my knife is part of my support to their learning process ;)

During lunch my daughter asked to use my knife to peel her apple slices because all the restaurant provided was a butter knife. I pondered handing her my keychain knife but figured she wanted something a little larger and instead gave her my Inkosi. She was using a coaster to cut on, which is what I has asked her to do, when I got up to use the restroom. I was walking back, and heard this horrible scraping sound as I approached our table. My wife had decided that the apples needed to be cut on a ceramic plate, and the sound I heard was my daughter using the Inkosi blade to scrape all of the peelings into the center of the plate! I had a nice flat section to sharpen out when we got back home:confused:

HapPy F@thERz DaY! :eek::confused::rolleyes::p:)

Greater love hath no man than he loan his favorite knife to his daughter. In my case, I would have peeled it for her. I guess I have trust issues.

let a friend borrow a rockstead hizen and she was cutting some strand on ceramic, but not really cutting. she was rubbing the edge side to side, maybe she was trying to flay the strands of whatever? I dont know but i put a quick end to that since i was right there watching the whole time.

I typically dont lend knives out and if i do i typically ask what for and a quick rundown of what not to do to my stuff. Usually i just make the cuts myself.

I wouldn't let it bother me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying its ok, just that if it's my edc... s*** happens. My favorite is a large Inkosi PJ, but if and when it wears out I'll find another.

I've used mine on plates so many times for steak I can't begin to guess. Nothing good stones can't fix.

JMHO

Always have a backup knife or Leatherman to lend out
You’re absolutely right with that thought. Many of my EDC's are costly, so I treat them with appropriate respect. They don’t get loaned out so somebody can snap the tip off or use them on a stone countertop or concrete sidewalk for a cutting board. I have a $45 8Cr13Mo knife (sharpened with a pull-through sharpener) for loaner use.

Back