Inkosi

Hello.
I've been checking the inkosi out because I've seen quite a few pics that say they're good.

I'm not completely sold.
The clip is not reversible, the warranty does not cover wrist flicking, s35vn steel ?

I know it's personal preference .
What are the advantages to using this knife ?
Is it a sweet buy or just a cool piece ?

There are no advantages to using it. There are many less expensive knives that outperform it. However, there are no better made knives for the price. Manufacturing quality is why they cost so much. Whether or not that is “worth it” is subjective.

Thank you @johnny.

Fair enough, I can understand the appeal.
I believe I'll stay true to what I have now.
I appreciate your help.

Personally I'd go for a Sebenza over an Inkosi, well I did, the reason they are superior to most other folding knives is the tight tolerances and pivot bushing system, which is lost on the Inkosi, and this is why I think the Inkosi is a step down from the Sebenza. One of the main things that seperated the Sebenza from 99% of other folding knives on the market was the fact that you never needed to adjust the pivot, or dial it in.
This was (in my opinion) what made the Sebenza special, it's one of the only folding knives that is truly designed to be taken apart and put back together without risk of stripping the screws (It has deep allen key heads that do not strip out like shallow torx screws) Then you just tighten the pivot down all the way, and the pivot bushing removes any chance of getting the tension wrong, it's always going to assemble perfectly every time, and you cannot over tighten it, it will open smoothly no matter how tight you screw down the pivot, it also does not need loctite.
The Sebenza was designed to actually last a lifetime, I don't know why you would want to wrist flick a knife open, my Sebenza can be thumb flicked open without using any wrist.
The Inkosi in my opinion is not as great of a knife sa the Sebenza for the reasons I just said, it removed what seperated the Sebenza from other knives, sure it still has great tolerances and perfectly surface ground scales, but it's lacking what made a Sebenza a Sebenza, I wouldn't buy one.

I love my Inkosi. Same build quality of the Sebenza but less parts to mess with. I find its easier to take apart and clean, plus the pivot is adjustable and super easy to dial in. The slightly thicker blade stock makes the knife feel more stout compared to the Sebenza as well.

The Inkosi is a great knife. Honestly, I very much prefer it over the Sebenza. But it's just preference, not a matter of function. Yes, the Sebenza has a pivot bushing, and that makes it different. Sebenza purists will say that's what makes it "special" or "better". Honestly, it just makes it different. The pivot bushing is not anywhere near the game changer that some people want it to be. The Inkosi is a bit beefier than a Sebenza. Some will prefer that, some won't. I like 'em both. For me, large Inkosi, small Sebenza. As far as comments that there are many cheaper knives that will "out perform" the Inkosi....well, whatever. Honestly, anything I really need a knife for could be handled by a $25 dollar hardware store knife. We buy expensive knives because we like them. A much more expensive knife doesn't necessarily cut better. At it's price point, ther Inkosi is a very good knife. Neither the ebenza nor the Inkosi should disappoint you.

The slightly thicker blade stock makes the knife feel more stout compared to the Sebenza as well.
That's precisely why I chose the Inkosi over the Sebenza. The pivot "may" take a little longer to break in (mine was a real bear), during which time you might wonder why you ever picked the Inkosi over the Sebenza, but gradually it will break in and be just as smooth.

But to answer your question, I think there are many knives out there that cost the same or less but are just as good and maybe even better.

Last edited:
I do not have an Inkosi but I have owned two Sebenzas and and two Mnandis, I still have one of the Mnandis, the rest have been sold. They are very well made knives but they don’t do anything better than lets say a Spyderco or Benchmade knife. Kind of like a Sekio, Citizen or Rolex watch versus a Timex or Casio watch. They all keep good time and functional. A Timex or Casio is just as good when keeping time but the more expensive watches are nicer To wear. At least for me they are.

If you want the latest in blade steel and lock design then look elsewhere. CRK knives are wonderfully made knives with easy to maintain blades.

I own both the Inkosi and Sebenza 21, but carry the Sebenza a lot more of the time, it just feels solid to me with its lock-up CA-CLICK cuts better as well.

Knives with holes for reversible clips look like shit. You don't buy a Rolex because you need a basic wrist watch. You buy it because you want a Rolex. Same with CRK.
95A1A41D-8171-40D4-9313-209C53E178A1.jpeg

Even the filler tab for the removed pocket clip on the Sebenza looks like it should be there.

The tolerances can't be beat. Also CRK is switching over to S45 steel. Some models have already shipped with the steel upgrade.

They are very well made knives but they don’t do anything better than lets say a Spyderco
Not quite. I can tell you right now that a lot of spydercos will not take the same level of "abuse" that my Umnumzaan can handle. Chris Reeve Knives doesn't make a lot of different models, but they make them very well with exacting tolerances.

Prefer the Sebenza overall, but wish it had the adjustable pivot of the Inkosi.

S Skar for the short version, just scroll to the last sentence.
The Inkosi is a nice knife...whether it's worth the price is up to the individual buying it. Even though it doesn't make my top 5, I'm glad I have my large inkosi - I went with the micarta inlays - it's the best CRK I've tried (based on the feel in hand). That's after trying a large PJ 21, large micarta 21, small WC 21, and (most recently) a small micarta inkosi. Of those, what I have left are the large micarta inkosi and the small WC 21...and the small 21 could go at any time (I'm sure if it wasn't a WC, I'd have already posted it, lol). At some point, I'll probably try an Umnumzaan, just to see what the fuss is about (a bunch of people that say the 'zaan is their favorite CRK).

If you're itching to try a CRK, the Inkosi is a good place to start (IMO). If you're just wondering if it's a good knife, it is. Can you find a knife that pleases you for less money? I'd imagine so...especially since you seem on the fence.
Honestly, if you need convincing, you should wait (I'd say that about any knife).

Not only the stock is thicker on the Inkosi, but the hollow grind is more shallow as well. This means it can be used a bit harder than the 21 Sebenza. I feel I need this extra strength, but not enough to get the Umnumzaan. The adjustable pivot can be viewed as a positive - because what if you don't like the 'factory setting' on a Sebenza?
For me, the most noticeable difference between the Sebenza and the Inkosi is that the strength of the detent is much stronger on the Inkosi. Mine is still new and I expect it will get better in time. But my also new Sebenza is effortless in comparison.
I happily carry a small 21 Sebenza, when I don't anticipate any work. It fits my hand even better than the large ones.

Personally I prefer the Inkosi; mine have been noticeably smoother out of the box and I believe them to be much more stout (not that the Sebenza is any slouch). The handle is much more comfortable in my hands - especially true when comparing the micarta 21 v micarta Inkosi.

All that said, if you can be "talked into a knife," you can probably also be "talked out" of one; buy it because YOU want to. Good thing is, CRK's don't lose too much value; so you are likely to recoup any funds you might have "lost" in your quest.

Back