Inlay question

Hi Dwayne

I'm most likely going to be getting 1 sheath from you, maybe 2 depending on the funds. I had a question about the inlays. I'm interested in the ray, shark and the alligator inlays. Is one more durable than the other? Could you PM the prices as well?

Thanks!
AF

Hi AF :)

Thanks for your interest! As far as durability goes shark is the most wear resistant, alligator and crocodile being a very close second, then ray. I put ray last as its white on the inside of the pearls and if you gouge it good enough you will expose that layer in the calcic node. The better quality ray skins dont do this as easily and tend to be dyed deeper.

The nice thing about having my own forum is I can post pricing. :)

Shark is 10.00 an inch
Gator, Croc, and caimen, are anywhere from 15 to 20.00 an inch depending on the market.
Ray skin varies as well, but usually runs about 10.00 an inch.

I try to get the best quality skins I can get my hands on, and am always on the lookout for unique stuff.

Good question! Now my mind will be going till I find out! The tanners never give that out, bit it would be a selling point from them if they did eh?

I'll see if I can find anything out. :)

Not often, but I have made a few, from plain to full tilt Ranger belts. What are you needing?

Rattlesnake varies a bit, sometimes I land a good deal that allows me to offer it for as little as 10.00 an inch, but some skins have cost me significantly more and will come in at about 15.00 an inch. Those skins are super nice and are a joy to work with, they aren't glycerin tanned like so many you find on the e-bay.

That reminds me about the shark skin, apparently they simply tan the hides that they get for that shipment. Most are very common species, but I got no answers on what type though.

Emu Inlay, love that stuff!
Emuratmandu.jpg

emuratmandu2.jpg

Dwayne,
I love that Emu inlay!!! We should talk about possibly adding that to the sheath you're about to start for my Bowie variant. Will e-mail you tomorrow about it. -Jared.

I just posted this over on the SwampRat forum, but thought you might see it sooner here. I really dig this Emu inlay. Would you be able to do something like that on the Bowie RMD sheath you are about to start for me? Do you think it could be dyed a blue color to match to closely the G10 of the handle? I'm thinking, and that's dangerous!!! :D

I do have a nice blue dye that I could do a test piece of that emu for you, we'll see how it turns out. I need to check to see how much of this I have left, it comes direct from Australia do restocking takes a little time.

The skins come to me white and unfinished, means a little extra work for me but I love being able to make them the color I want instead of searching ready made stuff. :)

Dwayne,
Just e-mailed you. I'd like to explore this option. I just got my RMD LE and one of your standard sheaths for it from the SR shop, and I think the Emu in blue would look sweet!

I'll dig out a small scrap of the stuff and see how the blue looks. I'll post it up when the dye dries. :)

Back