Insingo VS. Others

I ordered a small Sebenza Insingo through the CRK website, even though I know their backlog is four years. I did it so I’d have a little something to look forward to over the next few years. I still can’t tell whether this plan is depressing or ingenious.
Worked for me on that Randall... So I'm going ingenious.

To me, the insingo is the most aesthetically pleasing and also the most practical. It's actually a finer cutting tool than the drop point, which thickens up substantially behind the edge at the belly. It excells at every cutting task, that is, unless you process game with your pocket knife. I even find the swedge to be a useful substitute for finger nails, of which I have none. Sometimes, the insingo powers through a cut when the rounded drop point slides off.

I think I may have just talked myself into another one.

While the insingo is a well balanced bladed, there’s just some things that it‘s not good at. Typically, if I’m doing service work, I’ll take a clip point along. have you ever tried to remove a water saver on a set of faucets or de burr small PVC pipe with an insigno blade ? It doesn’t work well doing finer work. If I go do a remodel job, then the insigno is an excellent choice.

When cutting food on a cutting board I prefer the belly on a DP, more slicey. Using the insingo on a cutting board you only get to use the 1/3 of the front of the blade.

Having said that the insingo is more utilitarian.

But the DP is definitely better looking.

I never cut food with a folder. (Must be a genetic flaw.)

And I disagree that the DP is better looking...but I'm willing to agree that it's a valid "opinion". The DP on my "Regular" is very nice.

Otherwise, we're in complete agreement. :cool: 🍻

When cutting food on a cutting board I prefer the belly on a DP, more slicey. Using the insingo on a cutting board you only get to use the 1/3 of the front of the blade.

Having said that the insingo is more utilitarian.

But the DP is definitely better looking.
A pocket knife is a poor substitute for a proper chef knife. If we were limited to one drop point and one insingo Sebenza, then the difference would be akin to a western style chef knife that excells at rocking cuts, versus a Japanese style gyuto which is better at tap chopping. Either way, everyone would eat.

I do like to keep a clean knife on me, one without tape residue, summer sweat and cardboard dust. Never know when I might need to make a clean cut.

Reactions: 353
Back