Instant hawk handle?

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone knows or would like to share any ideas on how to make/design a small hawk/axe head that you could have on your body in a sheath like a small fixed blade knife but when you needed it to be able to chop wood you could just grab a small growing sappling then slip the hawk head over the sappling then do a fast type of secure head to sappling connection and start chopping.

Do you think this is even possible to do safely and quick enough to make it worth while to carry only a hawk head and no handle?

I was thinking a small Hawk/axe head like Oetzi the ice man had when they found him only with a way to make a very fast field expediant handle. Here is a pic of Oetzi's axe.

axe_vzoom.jpg

MMM

The easiest way to do this would be the way the indians made stone axes.. Your blade/hatchet head would be a 1/4" thick triangular shaped piece of tool steel. It would be about 6-7" long and easy to carry in a pouch . When needed just find a suitable stick or branch about 18" long and split one end a few inches. wedge in the head and lash tightly with any cord that you have on hand (boot lace). this would work out pretty well and be easy to make and carry, it could also be used as a scraper or a ULU type of knife..The blade could also be used as a striking steel for you flint.

What if you just carried an ULU?
If you need an axe, drive it through the stick, and lash it in. The handle would keep the ULU from sliding through.

I'm not understanding why a regular ol' tomahawk with a round/teardrop tapered eye wouldn't work. Do you just want something flatter (without an eye)?

Rocketman, that is kind of what I am thinking,almost like a primitive Hoku knife like shown at this website only in Hawk/Axe style. Maybe the hawk head could be shaped to allow positive easy in the field hafting to the handle.

http://dirttime.com/

witchhunter...No not like the ATAK's...For me, Ron Hood's design was lacking in many areas by trying to accomplish to many things at one time and to be honest it was a real pain in the butt to use. Always caused bruised and scraped knuckles and the axe/handle connection many times caused the blade to torque over while impacting the wood to be chopped and for lack of a better word it was bulky in the hands for use as knife and had to hold it many different ways just to make the ATAK's feel comfortable" 'just not my cup of tea...I do really like the idea of having a small Hawk/Axe head that is easy to have on your person and have a positive strong connection to a field expedient handle.

Strobengh, the Skachet looks like you can even hold it in a gloved hand and chop using a hammer blow(I would hate to miss...Ouch!)

You guys have given me a few good ideas to try, Thanks alot.

Mike that would be pretty easy to do. Just forge in a waist (narrow area) near the center of the head. That way when it is lashed to the handle it won't move when chopping wood.

Possum, yes having a slimmer profile is part of it for easy EDC in the woods and I find that having a tapered eye works but it can take a relatively long time to carve a handle that works well plus then the handle material must be chosen carefully as well.

The idea here is to be able to make a fast but very useable handle out of what you find in the woods.

Back