Insurance claims

Shipping claims aren't the only problems. Home or business insurance works about the same. You need to prove ownership & value first before most insurance companies will pay anything. Pictures of your shop/home interiors and close up of open drawer/cabinet contents do this very well since we all have stuff whthout receipts. Using equipment for business without commercial insurance, welding tanks, etc., can create claim problems as well, check with your insurance carrier.

------------------
ColoradoBoy

The company that I had my homeowners ins.,thru found out I was a knifemaker,cancelled me cold.Said they could'nt insure someone/someplace where evil weapons were made.I had a hell of a time getting reinsured after that,and then the new company wont insure any tools in my shop or garage.

------------------
MIKE

Them sons of b%$^%^. I swear insurance companies and banks are the biggest crooks out there. I had a friend whose shed burnt down along with the atvs inside and a riding lawnmower. The mower was covered but since the atvs were recreational and not for farm use they were exempt. What a bunch of bs that you should pay money every month and then when you need their help they find some way to get out of paying you.
mad.gif
And to cancel you because you were a knifemaker!!! Are you sure there was no other reasons. Evil weapons huh. Wouldn't you like to just take that evil weapon and stick it right up their $%#. It is highway robbery and it is not right.
mad.gif
Cory

------------------
"I am a shootist."
Clay Allison
"Does this mean we are bladists?"
McAlpin Blades
http://www.geocities.com/mcalpinblades

I'll second that, most of my experience with insurance is a crock.

I had All-state auto because my parents had used them for like 25 years for everything: home, auto, boat, etc. My sister had a couple of accidents, and they dropped all of us in the immediate family.

The one time I did have to file a claim (because my truck had been broken into in the school parking lot) they made me drive an hour to look at it. Then they under-bid the job by like $300.

I have to say Progressive has been awesome though. I had to file a claim, and their rep drove to my driveway with a lap-top and a digital camera. I had a check in two days, delivered to my hand by my rep. Now that's service.

I almost forgot this was a knifemaking forum...somebody might banish me to a far away place...

Nick

Yeah, no way am I telling my ins co that I make knives in my basement! I was dropped by our previous insurer because I ran a bookstore out of our spare bedroom... We have American Family for our home now too, have had several auto claims over the years and they've always done right. But like I said, no way I'm letting on about "evil weapons!"

I could start a rant about politically correct dipspits, how our whole society is turning into a bunch of weenie doughboy wussies, but it's probably time for a coffee refill instead...

Dave

Take whatever you would normally pay your insurance comapny, and invest it. Initially, leave it alone. Once it gets up to whatever level of coverage you would like, you can start removing some of the interest, if you have unexpected expenses. As long as you leave that certain amount in there, you still have all the coverage you would have with an insurance company, and it's up to you if your claim should be paid.

--JB

P.S., this technique does require self-control, so keep that in mind....

------------------
e_utopia@hotmail.com

JB,that would work fine for renters ins.,or if your home was free and clear,but a mortgage co.,wants proof of ins.,or they stick their own on your house and it only covers them,but you pay for it.And its more expensive than what can be obtained in normal channels by the home owner.

------------------
MIKE

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NickWheeler:
<snip> All-state <snip> Progressive <snip>Nick</font>

OK, this is a field I know a little about - I used to work for an insurance company.

Companies have reputations - some are HARD pay companies. They are so tight, they squeek. Some don't give you hassles, and pay up. Some won't insure certain types of stuff, others will insure anything if they think there is money in it (But are usually in the "Tight" class - they ONLY pay for what they say they will - it's how they limit things)

One thing you will find - the easier pay companies charge you more in premiums! When my house was broken into, my insurance company didn't even come out - they looked at what I was claiming, and my claim record, and told me "Get your door fixed, buy replacements for everything, and send us the receipts" (I have full replacement coverage) - I did (Including my VERY expensive discontinued camera, which cost more now then when it was new), and within a week, I had a check in my hand!

Want to find out who's who this way? Talk to your independent agent

Back