Integral Fighter

A long stop start build finally completed that I would like to share. A combination of 5/8 thick 440C for the blade and integral bolsters, and 3/16 " ATS34 for the separate tapered tang. Both sections were heat treated after engraving.

Scales are Giraffe bone with black fiber liners. Stones are 9 and 6 mm Garnet cabochons in brass fittings. Pins are also domed over brass.

Engraving is by the ever masterful Marcello Pedini.

OAL 14 1/4" X 9" blade. Bevels are hollow ground.

Hope you like and as always thanks for looking.

Keyhole integral by Peter Del Raso, on Flickr

Giraffe bone handle by Peter Del Raso, on Flickr

Integral knife by Peter Del Raso, on Flickr

integral keyhole knife by Peter Del Raso, on Flickr

IMG_0848 by Peter Del Raso, on Flickr

IMG_0852 by Peter Del Raso, on Flickr

IMG_0857 by Peter Del Raso, on Flickr

That thing looks SO complicated in construction... HOW in the world.....?!

And then completed, it looks effortlessly soothing and appropriate.

Peter: You KNOW I'm a fan! :thumbsup: :D

Props to Marcello for elevating your work.

Just beautiful...thank you for sharing.

Amazing and beautiful in every respect!

Does the engraving have to be “touched up” after heat treating, or can it be polished straight away? Mike

Thanks everyone, especially Coop and Dudley, even though I know you’re both biased.

Mike, the engraved surfaces need a slowly slowly approach so you don’t wipe out any detail. The scales are very close to finished size by the time I am ready to epoxy them in. Once the epoxy has set I tape off the engraving and hand file/sand them to finished size.

Final clean up is done with 800 grit over all surfaces, metal and scales. 800 grit will cut back the small amount of oxide the blade developed during heat treat in a vacuum furnace, and also the ink rubbed into the engraving.

Stones and pins are the last thing to be installed. I use hidden internal pins to locate and hold the scales in place during epoxy cure.

I have a bucket load of wip pics on a social media page, not sure if its in the rules to mention it. I’m sure the engraving could be touched up if needed, though I don’t think many engravers would be happy working hardened steel.

Back