Interested in a good Sog folder for edc.

Hey guys, I got a little extra over time at work, now I can do some knife shopping. I am interested in a Sog folder but I have very little experience with Sog products. In fact, I have never owned a new Sog, just a few used ones I bought or traded for like the Fielder and a multi tool. I want something that is durable and will last a long time. I am interested in giving the arc lock a try, and I prefer the blade length to be in the 3 to 3.5 inch range. I prefer to keep the price range around a hundred dollars if possible. Thanks

Hey guys, I got a little extra over time at work, now I can do some knife shopping. I am interested in a Sog folder but I have very little experience with Sog products. In fact, I have never owned a new Sog, just a few used ones I bought or traded for like the Fielder and a multi tool. I want something that is durable and will last a long time. I am interested in giving the arc lock a try, and I prefer the blade length to be in the 3 to 3.5 inch range. I prefer to keep the price range around a hundred dollars if possible. Thanks

Just out of curiosity why did you decide SoG in paricular? In my eyes the best SoG folders are probably the Visionary series and Tomcat.

That Spec elite is nice too. The Trident elite is nice but I think it only comes combo edge.

Sog in general gets really good reviews and I have never owned a high end folder from them. Plus I want to give the arc lock a try.

In my opinion the arcitech is the best arc lock sog but they are around 200 on most sites and more in stores( between 300 and 500) but the spec elite is a no nonsense sog. Definately worth a look. The visionary is nice too.

Plus sog has a great warranty and the owners and reps are super nice.( at least the ones i have met).One lady/employee was handling the knives at the display counter and dropped an arcitech that was open and it went into her foot. She had to get stitches and asked the rep/owner who was there if she could buy the knife and he said No but i will give it to you.

I dont own any sogs any more but that kinda stuck with me. No pun intented.:). It was one of the coolest things i had ever seen a company do.

The reason I ask is becaise generally Sog knives are not considered the best value or quality. There are gems in their line up but they are often very expensive for what you get. If the arcitech is really 300-500$ in store that is Sebenza price range.

The reason I ask is becaise generally Sog knives are not considered the best value or quality. There are gems in their line up but they are often very expensive for what you get. If the arcitech is really 300-500$ in store that is Sebenza price range.

Thanks for the heads up, I will definitely give it some consideration before making my next purchase.

I don't want to discourage you from SoG as a brand they have many great knives, particularly fixed blades. Just some of their folders like the Flash II and Aegis seem to often have side to side play.

I had a Flash 2 and it was a decent knife but for the price I could have got a Spyderco Endura and been really pimping it.

I don't want to discourage you from SoG as a brand they have many great knives, particularly fixed blades. Just some of their folders like the Flash II and Aegis seem to often have side to side play.

I had a Flash 2 and it was a decent knife but for the price I could have got a Spyderco Endura and been really pimping it.

Well, another brand I'm considering is Cold Steel, would that be a better choice? I have owned Spydercos, Benchmades, ZT's, actually a ZT 0350 is part of edc rotation. I'm hoping to get a good quality folder that is a little more budget friendly.

im

Those two sogs the flash and aegis dont use the arclock. There is definately a budget level with sogs and a step above which the arclock sogs achieve. The arclock system is close to an axis lock but in my opinion sog has less qc issues in their arclock line. That being said at your price point there are a ton of options. At the 100 dollar price range sog is competitive though. Research spyderco paramilitary 2/Manix etc and benchmade griptilian also keep in mind KERSHAW AND ZT. Zt or spyderco would get my money but just because the options at the 100 dollar mark.

Last edited:
Yeah I would never pay that for an Arcitech.

I would recommend Cold Steel any day over SoG hands down when it came down to most knives. Especially the newer models with CTS XHP steel.

Got a salute I'll let go for 25$ shipped. Black plain edge version. New in pack.

http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/sog-salute-new-in-pack.1493848/

sog_ff11-cp_main_1_1.png

I really like having my SOG access card 2.0 in my wallet and still think the arc lock is outstanding on the Vulcan flipper series. I really wish they would stop with all their recurved blades.

While your looking the SOG Vulcan or Vulcan mini may be good choices. 3.5 or 3 inch blade length, VG-10 steel, high end arc lock. Don't pay full retail for a knife if you can help it. The pricing schemes are set to support the whole saler's. Shop different ones that have a good reputation. If the sale originates oversea's it more likely a counterfeit.

Yea, I got a few knives that I bought for one reason and they ended up being "Safe Queens". Not something I'm completely comfortable with, tools are supposed to be used, but it is what it is. Another good reason to shop around for your best price. I do think the Vulcan was made to be used.

The only SOG I've owned was Twitch II and it was a heckuva little knife. Carried it for about 4 years while working in a print shop and cut up (literally) tons of cardboard with that little knife and it held an edge far better than you'd expect from aus8. Sadly I lost it. Replaced it with a Leek which doesn't hold an edge nearly as well, actually it's a disappointing knife overall. Wish I had my Twitch back.

A lot of the bad that folks have to say about SOG knives either comes from their lower tier stuff that happened a few years ago with some ownership changes, comparing mid-tier knives at full retail price against other companies stuff at discounts, and QC complaints that are unrealistic in relation to the overall design of the knife. For example, I don't think you can get an assisted arc-lock to have no blade play at all. But I don't think thats bad, I think that we often have unrealistic expectations, its a mechanical joint, something has to move.
The best thing to do is pick the knife you think you want, then see how it goes. Every company will have knives that don't fit your budget/value profile, that's not a bad thing.

I know this is an old thread, but what the heck.

I've got 5 different Trident folders and they have all been solid performers. I think the whole "blade play " thing is highly overrated. It's a folder. I haven't had one not do what it's supposed to which is open, cut things and fold.

You can find them on amazon for less than $100 and some days less than $60. I bought one over the summer off ebay for 25 to specifically do dumb things like dig, pry, scrape, get dirty, neglect and basically abuse. Just to see what a "cheap" knife could take. It still fires as hard as any other, edge maintenance was easy, the lock never failed and I still have it as an edc.

Back