Interesting dilemma

Should a company provide copies of a Certificate of Authentification?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • No.

Votes: 13 92.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This morning i was consulted with this dilemma.
Someone bought a Eschaton from another person, who "lost" the certificate of authentification. So the buyer asked for a copy of the COA. My college answered him this was not possible and he replied with threatening he would post on Social Media that WE Knife was just as all other despicable knife companies from the backstreets of Bejing because WE would not provide him a copy of the COA which was not his fault the seller lost it.

So what are the arguments to NOT provide a copy of a COA?

A COA is unseperately connected with the item which is warranted to be authentic. When an item is offered without this certificate, it might be a falsification or it might be stolen. When companies do provide copies, then of what value are original COA's? The value will devaluate. It is no longer a genuine warranty the item is authentic. That's my opinion.

I think when you buy an item without COA it is the responsibility of the buyer and he can not blame the manufacturer not providing circumstances which encourage falsifications or stealing originals.

What is your opinion?

No. What's the point of a certificate of authenticity without authentication? The only circumstances I could see it being reasonable to give a copy or reissue a COA is if the buyer was willing to send the knife in (on his dime, of course) and have it properly authenticated by the manufacturer. And, frankly, that could easily be a headache for the manufacturer, so I wouldn't blame them if they weren't willing to do that.

Why would a company issue a COA without establishing that the item is authentic? (In other words, No)

I agree with the above. If the owner wants to ship you the knife and pay for return shipping, then perhaps you should issue a new certificate if feasible.
I doubt this is an issue that comes up very often so you could just say no.
It also seems reasonable that only one certificate would ever be made for each knife. Simpler that way.

I agree with all of the above. Reissuing would completely undermine the initial issuance unless verified, which I wouldn’t expect. That is on the buyer.

As everyone else has stated.

It's very possible that he willingly bought a fake and us trying to get a COA do he can sell it for a higher price to some unlucky buyer. I wouldn't let one trolls tantrum distract you guys from doing what's right for your business and reputation. Plenty of people bad mouth highly reputable and respected manufacturers because they couldn't get their way.

I concur really to expect a certificate authenticating something with out it being authenticated is unreasonable the process and burden of re-authenticating items which has lost their original certificate is also impractical for most businesses.

As everyone else has stated.

It's very possible that he willingly bought a fake and us trying to get a COA do he can sell it for a higher price to some unlucky buyer. I wouldn't let one trolls tantrum distract you guys from doing what's right for your business and reputation. Plenty of people bad mouth highly reputable and respected manufacturers because they couldn't get their way.
And the possibility the knife was stolen is another option. During IWA show two Eschatons were stolen by an Easter European guy. The issue now is with an Eschaton bought by and from an Eastern European guy.

It is the job of the owner to keep up with the COA. I would never expect a manufacturer to re-issue a COA under any circumstances.

I think we're unanimous. No COA under these circumstances.

EDIT: Not unanimous. LOL. Someone voted "yes" on the poll.

The vocal majority is unanimous at this time and the singular non vocal dissenter hides and lurks in the shadows :p

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen! Very much appreciated. And the confirmation I was not far off with my opinion.

Back