Interesting Epoxy Pigments

Anyone have any experience with any of the more unusual epoxy pigments floating around. I had a kit of standard solid colors, but there seems to be a whole plethora of different kinds floating around: metallic, pearlescent, fluorescent, glow in the dark, and lots of others. Any anyone recommends?

I don't know about commercial pigments, but if you are just trying to hide any potential epoxy gaps just use some sanding dust from whatever material you are using.

No, I was thinking more to add interest to solid colors to fill larger voids. I know the sawdust trick well. I also like coco powder, it makes a nice super dark brown.

There are lots of em out there.

Check out Blacktail Studio on YouTube, he makes lots of big tables outta wood and almost always dyes the epoxy...

The only think I've ever used was Rit fabric dye. It works ok, but I would recommend you get something that is actually designed for epoxy.

K and G supplies have the standard colors. Red, white. blue. black.green.yellow. and used to have orange.

I've used Alumilite dyes in the past. They work well, and you only need the smallest amount.

I use the K&G dyes. They work well and can be mixed to get a matching color for most any wood.

PS Had one container of K&G black powdered tint that lasted me almost 10yrs...

Laser printer toner is a polyester(?) fine powder that mixes well with epoxy resins. Toner refill kits are cheap on Amazon.

PS Had one container of K&G black powdered tint that lasted me almost 10yrs...

Yup, it lasts for many years. I have some of their colored pigments I bought over 20 years ago. I go through a jar of black and a tan about every couple years. It takes literally a toothpick tip dab to color a batch of epoxy enough to do one knife. I use the end of a popsicle stick to color 100 grams of resin. I know people use many things that they say "work well", but these pigments are dry pigment made to use with epoxy. Nothing beats the right product.

Back