Interesting garage sale find

Hi everybody,
I don't usually post in this thread and hope this tool fits in your category. Please feel free to move this thread if need be, but this find looks like a chopper to me:D

An old buddy of mine saw this Muela knife at a garage sale and picked it up for me, knowing about my addiction. Anyway, it kind of resembles a woodsman's pal, and I searched Muela knives on google, found lots of results, but nothing like this piece.

I did some chopping in the back yard and it seems pretty tough. Has a nice edge on it and I plan to use it for hacking when doing yardwork. Anybody know anything about it?

Thanks,
Jon

*EDIT* I assume the hook on the spine is for stripping thorns or smaller branches from larger ones?

DSC01527.jpg

DSC01531.jpg

DSC01529.jpg

DSC01530.jpg

DSC01532.jpg

pretty good looking blade, interesting.

i agree that the hook is probably for stripping small branches and thorns and for cutting vines and brambles off at the ground without swinging the blade.

its made from molybendum/vanadium steel...a pretty good steel depending on what else is in it...

looks like a pretty cool find.

Nice find.. We sell a variety of Muela knives at work; mostly hunters and skinners, but I've never seen anything like this. If they're still making this model I might have to see about having the boss order a few in.. :D

I think you could also use that hook to gut an animal, like a large gut hook, if you were using it is a survival tool.

As a land surveyor I'd say that would work out well in close quarters for vines and branches. Make the other guy carry the bush ax!

Thanks for all the comments, guys!:thumbup: It really is an interesting chopper. I hope to get some good use out of it.

As far as the cost?;) Believe it or not, my cost was $2.00!! This old buddy of mine is in his mid seventies and loves knives as much as me. He's given me many over the years, but has a philosophy that for the sake of a friendship you should never take anything without compensation, so I always have to fork over one dollar when he brings me one of his "finds". This knife was cool enough that he demanded two dollars, which I readily handed over:D

Jon

Saw a knife almost exactly like that within the last few days in an online ad...
the 'hook' was described as being used like a sickle!!!

It might be kind of a modern day billhook or a vineyard tool. If vines had grown tight together you could reach in with this blade and "hook" the vine and pull back and cut it without damaging other vines or branches... maybe... or not

Pat

It might be kind of a modern day billhook or a vineyard tool. If vines had grown tight together you could reach in with this blade and "hook" the vine and pull back and cut it without damaging other vines or branches... maybe... or not

Pat

Thats what I thought. Do they grow lots of grapes in spain ? Might be a specialized vineyard knife.

Post this thread in the Bernard levine forum. Someone their will know.

Back