Interesting, gimmick or ingenious knife thread.

First is this a gimmick or ingenious, definitely interesting signature knife. Zero chance of blade closing on your fingers. Cheap steel.

please explain your answer and post others.

Columbia River (CRKT) 5102N Van Hoy Snap Lock Knife

Bought one many years ago at a gun and knife show out of curiosity. Blade didn't hold an edge that well and is thick, but it was a nice small knife in pocket. I gave it away to the gent that does my computer repair. He thought it was a really unique design/function.

I'm going to go with ingeniuos gimmick. I think it is pretty obviously a knife that puts style over utility. That said, it doesn't seem like its gunna be mistaken for a hard use knife or real utility blade. If you wanted something to look neat as you cut a loose theead, very neat. You plan on putting that knife in real service, probably a bad idea.

ce45d522a1115b4cc3434d2235f9773a.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps the grandaddy of gimmicky design...
Sometimes its ingenious problem solving...
Grant & Gavin Hawk still a favorite.
There have been bad clones ...

Last edited:
First is this a gimmick ....

Yes.

The thing with ingenious ideas is that they are hard to come up with and happen rarely. And with something that has been around as long as knives....most of the ingenious ideas happened already.

Not that we have not seen or will not see ingenious ideas again. Flippers. Those are pretty clever.

And not that there is anything wrong with gimmicks for us knife nuts either. Keeps us entertained.

But is the Snap Lock ingenious? Is it the next frame lock? No.

Back