Interesting Strop

I've really been getting into shaving with a straight razor, and have come to enjoy it very much. The thing is, when you first get started, you realize how much sh*t you need to do it right. Things like strops, decent shaving soap, and a decent brush, on top of a good, sharp razor. (My collection jumped from 1 to 11 in the last month :D...I finally found 3 I like, so I alternate those)

Well, I usually make my own strops. I'm a knifemaker (part-time), and sharpen up a lot of people's stuff, so I figured I was ok. Then, I decided to get a store-bought strop, just to see if it made any difference. I got a cheap-charlie leather/"canvas" strop off FleaBay. When I got it, I was shocked that it wasn't really that much different from my homemade ones, except I use 10oz. veg. tanned, and this one was about 12oz, with an almost waxy finish. The other interesting thing was this: the "canvas" was actually vinyl, like they used to use to make car seats, with the sort of fabric backing. Pakistan...go figure. Anyway, I was sorta pissed, because I wanted canvas and got fabric-backed vinyl. The amazing thing is, it actually works pretty well for what it's designed to do. One day, I'll invest in one of those monstrously expensive Russian leather/canvas strops, but for now, my cheapie Fleabay strop works ok. I made another huge strop out of some oil-tanned latigo leather I had lying around, and it works too, but my cheapie's not bad. I'm wondering, though, whether I oughta just call HandAmerican and order a couple square feet of the Red Diamond and vegetable tanned, with some .5 micron boron carbide abrasive, and make a couple sharpening strops and hanging strops and be done with it. 1 sq. foot of Red Diamond, 1 foot of veg. tanned, and some BC would set me back about $50 bucks, or about half the price of the store-bought top of the line Russian leather strop. Plus, HandAmerican'll custom cut it into 3"x24", so I'd have 4 pieces of leather the right size, ready to go.

Handamerican.com has some really good products.

You might want to think about the type of finish you want on the strop. I have about 7 strops and each has a differnet "feel" when I strop my razors. Some have a lot of "draw" and others are very smooth and slick. I use the strop with a good amount of draw first and finish with the slick strop.

You might want to check out www.straightrazorplace.com for a great forum on shaving with a straight razor and
www.thewellshavedgentleman.com for strops and paddle strops.

Randy,
I've become a regular member over at SRP, and we've run into each other over there a couple times. Just wanted to say thanks for the link to SRP. It's the best resource around, without all the attitude b.s. you see on here so much. Even sold one of my knives to Lynn (well, he said he'd send me a payment anyway:D) Started making my own strops, and they work great. Gonna order the Norton 4K/8K this Friday, although the Spyderco ceramics work ok.

Your welcome. It is a really good resource for people who want to learn about straight razors. There are several other websites that are usefull also so just ask if you are interested.

Back