Internal folder question

(This may belong in shop talk, I am not sure)

While playing with my Al Mar Sere 2000, I noticed how well it closed and how it took the perfect amount of pressure to release it from the folded position. And it clicked just right while closing as well. Can some please explain how the Ball dent works?? A diagram or picture would be great. I am trying to understand all aspects of a quality knife Thanks

There is a small ball bearing force fit into a small cutout on the inside of the lock bar.
There is also a corresponding half sphere shaped indent on the side of the blade tang which mates with the ball bearing when the blade is closed. As the blade is opened, the ball bearing retracts somewhat due to the springy nature of the lock bar and allows the blade to swing open freely. While opening, the ball rides along a circular path on the side of blade tang. Closing the blade, the ball rides along the same path until it drops in the tang's detent, thereby securing the blade.
Take the SERE apart to get a first hand look.
It's pretty straight forward.
Take the clip off, then take the handle scales off one side which will allow access to the bolts holding the spacers together (you need a small Allen wrench)then take the blade pivot bolt out. Voilla! While you're at it, clean that mother out and relube it.
Reverse the procedure. Just be careful to position the chunk of steel that the clip screws into properly. If you don't get it on the first try, you'll get it on the second.
Lenny:)

Back