International Multi-tools

While the SAK is certainly the most popular carry knife in countries around the globe, I'm curious if anyone knows about the popularity of multi-tools on the international scene. While they're obviously incredibly popular in the U.S. has this craze caught on in other countries yet?

hi,
I live in Belgium and in the past 5 years ,the multiools are getting very popular, I myself love multitools and have quite a big collection,espescially for a 19 year old student.And some friendsof mine also own a multitool.

I have some leathermans and gerbers and the guys have swisstools or leathermans because they hadn't heard of Gerber until i flicked one out.

The only drawback is that the tools from gerber and leatherman are very expensive in Belgium and whole Europe. For a gerber compact sport you pay easily 100€(100dollar) or for the gerber 600 deluxe 160€(160USdollar) for my leatherman wave i payed 125€(125USdollar),....
On aholiday in France the prices were approx. the same.

I hope this gives u an idea of the situation in Belgium/Europe

greetings,

Mike

I brought a leatherman back from the US with me in 1987 (to Australia) and it was quite a hit amongst my friends when camping/climbing etc. They started appearing in the shops in about 1989 or so. On farms, oilrigs and minesites they are now pretty much standard. The LM supertool, both old and new, seem most popular.

I've seen Leatherman products (and cheap knock-offs), as well as the Victorinox Swiss Tool in a lot of shop windows here in Italy. Can't say that I've seen a lot of people carrying them, though.

Here in the Netherlands Leatherman tools are pretty well known. They can be bought in many stores. I think that other tools from manufacturers like Gerber and SOG are more difficult to find. Some time ago I visited a Land Rover dealer in Germany. To my surprise I saw that they sold Gerber tools together with some other outdoor equipment.

Nice to hear from people in other countries. It sounds like Leatherman is doing a pretty good job on marketing around the globe.

Back