Intro welders and 220v questions

It should have been labeled. If there is no label on the panel door, it would be wise to do detective work and label all the breakers.

Many possibilities:
Refrigerator
Garbage disposal
Kitchen counter outlets
Garage
Attic fan
AC plug under some window in the house
Outside plug somewhere (porch, deck, BBQ pit, etc.)
Outside lights
Basement/Attic lights/receptacle
Old fallout shelter under house
Secret room (was the former owner named Bates?)

The box I was checking was the sub box in the garage. I’ve looked at the house’s breaker box and it also isn’t labeled, but I’m not going to be touching that one if I don’t have to.

The only thing left in the garage (unless of course there is a fallout bunker or secret room) that last breaker could be for is these tube light fixtures in the rafters of the garage. From what the landlord told me when we moved in they are broken (previous owner added LED strips in the rafters I use instead). If those broken fixtures are indeed for that last breaker I would assume I could have them swapped out for that dedicated 20amp outlet, making this all a lot easier.

Worth checking out. If the old fixtures are 20A circuit, you can remove them and place a junction box where the wires to them came out in the rafters. From that box you can wire cable to a new outlet box with the needed 110-20A socket.

Welp, I pulled the panel off the sub box in the garage to better find where that last breaker goes. It’s just for the second wire for the that 250v-20amp outlet.

When I turn the top of the two breakers off the left prong loses power. Then when I turn the bottom of the two off the right loses power.

OK, so it is two 110V circuits being used as a 220 circuit. That breaker setup is not legal. I should have a single 220 breaker.
The good news for you is you can easily have it made into one 20A-110V circuit. Any person with good wiring knowledge can do it in 10 minutes.

Out of curiosity, what color wires are on the two breakers .... and are they from one cable?

That is what I suspected.
Here is what you, or an electrically knowledgeable person, needs to do from the info you gave:
First - do not do wiring alone. Have someone else there to be your safety man and maybe hold a flashlight.
1) Shut OFF the two breakers that have the black and white wire connected. If not comfortable working in a fuse box, shut off the main breaker and work with a good flashlight. Once the wires have been moved in the fuse box you can turn on the main breaker ... but leave the two breakers you are working on OFF.
2) Remove the old 220 socket in the garage and replace it with a NEMA 6-20 or L6-20. See check list below for the proper wire connections.
3) Remove the white wire from the breaker it is attached to. That breaker is now a spare 110V breaker for a new circuit someday. NOTE- the breakers should be separate and not tired together.
4) Connect the white wire to the neutral bus where all the other wires are. You may have to use a wire nut and splice on some extra white wire if it is not long enough.
5) Double check the wires as listed below and turn on the breaker. Check the receptacle with a meter to assure a proper circuit.
6) Depending on the plug on your welder, you may need to change the plug to match the receptacle, or make an adapter cord.

Checklist to verify it is now wired for 115V-20A:
____ 20-amp single pole breaker in breaker box
____ 20-amp receptacle for 115V (NEMA 6-20 or equivalent) on wall
____ Fuse Box - Black wire on breaker
____ Fuse Box - white wire on neutral bus
____ Fuse box - green wire or bare copper wire on ground bus (in some fuse boxes this is the same as the neutral buss)
____ Receptacle - black wire on the brass color screw
____ Receptacle - white wire on the silver color screw
____ Receptacle - Green/bare wire on ground lug - NOTE -If this wire is not there you have a problem and will need to run a new wire.

Back