Introducing "THE BRINKERHOFF BRUTE" !

So in 2016 I posted in the wanted: knife makers, craftsmen and related services section of the forum about having my short sword/wakizashi design made and in June of 2021 Knife maker and fellow forum member !...ERIC BRINKERHOFF messaged me about the design and after a few ideas exchanged between the two of us via email and text and "THE BRINKERHOFF BRUTE " was Born !... it has an overall length of 24 inchesWith a 15 inch blade and a 8 inch handle and a Tanto blade shape and it's quarter inch thick CPM-3V !...Heat treatment will be done at Peter's by Brad Stallsmith !...I can't seem to be able to post pics so I'll see if Eric can come here and post some pictures of the brute ! Thanks for your time

FRC505 aka Frank Cervantes

Last edited:
Sounds very cool. Will it have a wrap handle?
No dark navy blue burlap micarta scales from shadetree composites ! And the instead of solid pins in the handle they will be hollow and flared with either brass, bronze, or copper tubing !...

P.S. the maker Eric Brinkerhoff is aware of this Thread and said that he will post some
Pics of "THE BRUTE".when he can !...

Okay guys here's some pictures of this brute it's pretty rough right now all's I've done really is profile the handle drill some holes and put the main bevels on with my 12-in wheel I need to have it surface ground and all kinds of stuff it's pretty rough right now as you can see but I like the way it's turning out it feels good in the hand it's going to have some weight and balance I'm waiting on delivery of my Fuller grinding attachment should be in by Monday maybe even tomorrow I hope that's why I've left the spine on profiled so I can find out where the Fuller land before I shape everything up but it's coming along pretty good Mr Frank is very excited! Oh the thickness before surface grinding was.223"how cool is that!1637246268815.jpg1637246247859.jpg1637246226329.jpg

Oh I'm way beyond very excited...this is going to be one badass short sword if I do say so !
Not to ever be confused with one of those mall ninja swords they sell on HSN/QVC !...
No sir this is THE BRUTE we're talking about
Here...100 % American made with quality materials and one of the best knife makers in the Northeast at the helm of this project its sure to be a family Heirloom passed on down to generation after generation !... but before that happens I will be putting it through its paces outdoors batoning small rounds of firewood, clearing brush, etc and then hopefully I will get to take it HOG HUNTING !
In Texas or southeastern New Mexico as I hear there already making there way into NM via the southwest texas/southeast New Mexico state border !...imo that will be the the ultimate test for "THE BRINKERHOFF BRUTE " BUT WITH QUALITY MATERIALS AND A 2ND TO NONE KNIFEMAKER AND A HEAT TREATING DONE BY BRAD STALLSMITH AT PETERS I HAVE NO DOUBT IN MY MIND THAT THIS QUARTER INCH 3V BRUTE WILL HANDLE DISPATCHING THE HOGS NO SWEAT !...I can't wait until next week when Eric gets the fuller grinding attachment so he can put the fuller in (or for you Rambo fans a Blood groove!)... and then after the fuller is done I believe only a little bit more work needs to be done then off to Peter's for the heat treatment ! then back to Eric for the final assembly of the handle and then a final sharpening then it will be mailed to me in New Mexico !...

Nice work Eric ! It's so close to being ready to send out to Peter's in PA... also the dark navy blue burlap micarta for the handle scales have been ordered and when talking to Dylan from shadetree composites he told me that he would mail them out in the morning tomorrow !... and I can't wait to how the handle comes out with the blue micarta with a copper liner and flared copper tubing or bronze tubing flared instead of copper with a yellow g10 liner either way it will look awesome with the tanto tip flat ground and the rest of the blade will be hollow ground !...
IT SEEMS LIKE THE CLOSER AND CLOSER THIS PROJECT GETS TO BE COMPLETED THE MORE I WISH I ALREADY HAD IT !...
I JUST WANT TO GET OUT AND CHOP SOMETHING WITH IT !

FRC505 AKA FRANK CERVANTES

Nice work Eric ! It's so close to being ready to send out to Peter's in PA... also the dark navy blue burlap micarta for the handle scales have been ordered and when talking to Dylan from shadetree composites he told me that he would mail them out in the morning tomorrow !... and I can't wait to how the handle comes out with the blue micarta with a copper liner and flared copper tubing or bronze tubing flared instead of copper with a yellow g10 liner either way it will look awesome with the tanto tip flat ground and the rest of the blade will be hollow ground !...
IT SEEMS LIKE THE CLOSER AND CLOSER THIS PROJECT GETS TO BE COMPLETED THE MORE I WISH I ALREADY HAD IT !...
I JUST WANT TO GET OUT AND CHOP SOMETHING WITH IT !

FRC505 AKA FRANK CERVANTE
Breathe... it's going to be awesome, but you want it done right.

Nice work Eric !... this project seems to be moving pretty fast for a custom short sword I mean its been a long time coming but now that it's here it seems like it's moving much faster than it is !... this whole experience has been great Eric is a top notch guy and a master knife maker !... I see alot of Brinkerhoff blades in my future that's for sure !...
Getting some more work done on the brute! Just about ready to send it off to Peter's!View attachment 1686302View attachment 1686303View attachment 1686304View attachment 1686305

UPDATE: The Brute is now at Peter's heat treat but it won't be back from heat treatment until after the holidays which is fine with me !
I will update this thread once the Brute is back from Peter's thanks to everyone who has been keeping up with this thread!...
Happy Holidays

Any updates on the Brute?
Swarthy,
No updates yet as far as I know it's still in Pennsylvania at Peter's heat Treatment !...
When talking with the people at Peter's and with Eric we were both told that the turn around time for this blade would be around 4 weeks and it didn't arrive at Peter until the 10th of December...so I think it will be another 2-3 weeks before the brute is back at Eric's for the final assembly and sharpening ! So once I hear from Eric about it I will update this thread !...

UPDATE: yesterday I was contacted by Mr. Brinkerhoff and the Brute is back from Peter's heat treatment!...but do to winter conditions in his area he's gonna wait for a few warm days to work on it ! And that's where we are now !...thanks again to those of you who have been following this custom build

Last edited:
Back