Iron Mistress. For the Bowie collector and user.

I received my Iron Mistress yesterday!!!! What a knife!!!! :thumbup:
Me Likey, a Lot!!!! :D
I’m thinking either the Musso got a bad heat treat or it’s like the khuks and I haven’t got down to the really hard stuff yet.
Unlike the Musso the Iron Mistresses edge just laughs at my file as the file skates over the edge on one side and barely bites on the other.:cool:

The Bowie is 17” long over all with a blade 11-7/8” and the handle 5” long with a 1/8” thick steel guard. The blade is 2-1/4” wide and is thinner than what we’re used to with the khuks, being made evidently from 3/16” .1870” stock, but even being that thin the knife is still a hefty 1 pound and 5 ounces!!!!
With the Bowie in its very nice artificial hard leather scabbard the rig weighs a full 2 pounds and 1 ounce and that’s with the $5.00 extra leather frog.

The scabbard has what appears to be a steel throat and chape. I haven’t put a magnet on them to be sure yet.
Edit:
The chape has a rounded point instead of being sharp which is very nice.
Edit:
Please ignore what I said above. I don't know why I was thinking the chape was rounded. When I looked at the pic and saw that it was pointed I had to go look at my scabbard to check it, sorry to say it has the same point. My apologies.:eek:

I don't know what they use on the outside of the wood but suspect it's some kind of epoxy with an artificial grain pressed into it as it is even with the top of the chape and the bottom of the throat.
This scabbard is nicer than my other one because the pattern completely covers the area in between instead of being polished smooth at the top and bottom.

The handle is Chiruwa style but with a twist. The beautiful almost black hardwood is split and perfectly fitted so that there is barely a seam at the top and bottom of the handle. There are two rivets about 3/16” spaced evenly on the handle. I can't say enough good things about the handle on this Bowie. It is every bit as comfortable as the handle on the Cherokee Rose and is of similar size.:thumbup:
I also can’t say enough about the beautiful wood the handle is made from. It is black with very dark brown streaks running through it, absolutely beautiful!!!! :D

The point is thin at .0750”, a little more than 1/16th inch, about 5/16” from the point but fine for a fighting knife which is exactly what this Bowie is. It’s definitely a knife and not a sharpened pry bar and the fit and finish is wonderfully executed. It has already claimed me as its owner by slightly biting my ring finger on the front pad.

I’ve started sharpening it but think I’ll wait until later today to finish it and use my Norton Fine India Hone on it. Methinks it will put the working edge on it that I want. ;)
When I get it sharpened and the polished finish Scotch-Brited down to a satin finish I'll try for an etch and see what happens. The sharpened clip is hard for at least a ways back and that tells me these are differentially hardened.:D
Will it perform like a knife? I say a resounding YES!
Will it take the place of a khukuri? A resounding NO!

You can read all about it HERE.

And here is a pic for those who want instant gratification.:p

IP-202.JPG

Glad you like your bowie, Yvsa. The style of the clip point isn't the most beautiful looking to me but if you like it, that's all that matters. Thanks for the instant gratification. ;)

Bob

but i also have to say its, bloody ugly :barf:
but if you like it that is all that realy matters i suppose.

it looks odd ! almost like they chopped a huge chunk of the end of the blade by mistake. what a ugly knife ????

but like i said if you like it fine mate. :)

Well it is indeed all a matter of taste. Some folks don't like the old Classic Bowies and some do and of course I am one who does.:p ;)
Actually I think mine is prettier than the one pictured as the clip appears to be a little more gentle in reality but I don't know how it would look in a pic. Sometimes the parallax of the camera lens can throw off the true appearance of a knife.:(
I just don't understand folks who think the Iron Mistress is ugly though.:confused:
In the early '50's Alan Ladd made the Iron Mistress famous in the movie of the same name.
The movie knife is what started many a knife collector on their road to collecting.
I need to rent the movie and watch it again. I was only about 12 when I saw it and it seems that Alan Ladd who played Jim Bowie threw the Iron Mistress into a river at the end.
I hated that part.:grumpy:

One thing I do know for sure now is where the hardening line runs on the blade.:thumbup: :cool: :D
It runs from about 5/8" in front of the guard to the point gradually getting deeper the further it goes.
And this is without doing any etching, just using the Scotch-Brite.:D
I've got a khukuri that showed its hardening line by doing the same thing.
It appears that the blade was put in the oil or other quenchant at an angle and then lifted to a straight up position as the clip is hardened about 2-5/8" back from the point.
I'm sure that an etch will probably bring it into focus better but before I etch it I'll try to see if I can capture it on my digital camera.
If I can I'll post both pre-etched and etched pix if I can capture it. I'm not the photographer some of the guys here are.:eek:

The wood that is used on this knife is my favorite also. It's strong, dense, and very heavy. It's called Macassar Ebony, AKA kamagong. :D

I,ve never even heard of the movie . I,ll have to rent it . It sounds interesting . Sometimes collectors have their own reasons and its obvious you have your own . My question is . How does it handle ? I know you got it for the style . I,m just wondering if that style has a handling advantage .

Yvsa, I think your Bowie is a fine looking knife; a knife capable of doing whatever needs doing.

Ice

Yvsa, I guess you and I have the same poor taste :D because I think it's awesome. I wish I had scored both this and the Musso bowie. I remember the movie with Alan Ladd very well. It looks sharper than hell, and my favorite part is the handle. I don't know what you would call that piece of filigreed trim coming up the handle from the bolster, but that adds a great touch, and the sheath is very well done as well.

Maybe the Musso was intended to have a slightly softer heat treat than this one? I think it's kind of cool as you know it is probably identical to the hardness of the knives manufactured during that period.

In any case, you have a neat matched pair of knives there, and the price is certainly right. I would think he could easily have added another $100 to the price and it still would have been a great deal.

Thanks for sharing.

Norm

P.S. Just checked out the site, and all 200 of the Musso's have been sold. I guess should have budgeted for this, but these dang HI khukuris that I have never seen before keep coming! Oh well, I have a couple of beautiful Salyans that I will treasure forever, so I guess it was not a bad trade after all... (-:

Kevin the grey said:
My question is . How does it handle ? I know you got it for the style . I,m just wondering if that style has a handling advantage .

Kevin it handles *Great!!!!*:thumbup: :D The clip pointed Bowie most definitely has an advantage. It is called, "The Backcut." With the clip being sharp you don't have to turn the blade to swing back the way you came, just reverse directions and your opponent is cut, badly!
This version of the Iron Mistress is perfectly balanced with the POB being about 1" in front of the guard.
It almost disappears in your hand weight wise.:thumbup: :D
These style Bowies were perhaps the greatest fighting knives ever devised by mortal man.:thumbup: :eek: :D :cool:

Thanks Ice.:D

You're welcome Norm.:D

Yvsa,

Just read your post aobut taste and old Bowies....

Aw cmon...you mean everybody doesn't love 'em?

I got a pic of one that I love...and maybe you will too...

At work now...but when I get home...I'll scan it for you....

In fact...it might be on my personal project list....

Shane

That clip is very severe, but it is what the movies portray, though nnot necesarily the reality. A transition that large would be weak and probably allow tip fracture. something more like the marine raider bowie from Ontario would be more akin to what they meant to have in the movie, but of course it is just a movie.

The truth is that the research done on the Bowie knife designed by bowie was more like a large butcher style knife with heavy point and front balanced to make it more throwable. I have the book and it explains it muc better than the movie.

here is an example of a nice custom bowie similar to the movie bowie.

independenceBOWIE.jpg

That's one hell of a clip, Yvsa. I'll bet that it pokes holes in things nicely, never mind the backcut.

How long is the handle?

Edit: let me guess...five inches. That's what I get for not reading carefully. :rolleyes:

I am going to leave the definitive statements on what...and what is not a Bowie knife to somebody else.

That being said I wanted to post this picture all day...

I expect it is not a movie knife...and does show a pretty amazing clip...

I took this pic from R.L. Wilson's book...The Peacemakers...page 61 for anybody that wants to look.

The caption reads..."By John Chevalier c. 1840, this giant Bowie measures 17 1/2 inches overall with a half inch thick blade, and moutings of ivory, silver, and silver plated brass. German silver mounts to scabbard. Weight of knife:2 1/2 pounds."

R.L. Wilson is a hell of an author and the pictures in all of his books are amazing...the documentation on the "artifacts" is not to be believed.

Yvsa, I hope you like this one. I still dream about building a knife like this.

Shane

Satori said:
That's one hell of a clip, Yvsa. I'll bet that it pokes holes in things nicely, never mind the backcut.

How long is the handle?

Edit: let me guess...five inches. That's what I get for not reading carefully. :rolleyes:

Ok, never mind. I see you found it.:D

Nice Bowie Shane!!!!:thumbup: :cool: :D

Now I have to find the movie ! I live in a major city so you would think finding a movie wouldn,t be a big deal . It seems a fast pace demands a fast turnover . People are not titillated by what was new last year let alone by a classic . Oh well all good things come to those who bother to go out and look for them .

hi YVASA I also have an iron mistress bowie knife. I was wondering if yours had any little marks on the blade???? mine does. it looks like a little black pit. it's deep. thanks alot.

jimbowie52

1000254SiegleChevalierstyleBowie.jpg

Here is a similar one ground from 3/8" stock. (knife by Bill Siegle)

1000466SiegleBowiespine.JPG

n2s

jimbowie52 said:
hi YVASA I also have an iron mistress bowie knife. I was wondering if yours had any little marks on the blade???? mine does. it looks like a little black pit. it's deep. thanks alot.

jimbowie52

No marks or pits on mine JB52. Since they're forged it may be a forging flaw, generally nothing to worry about.

Back