Ironside Edgeworks Mestiso - Custom Karambit-Pikal Hybrid Combative Knife and Buyer’s Review

E8ABEE6E-9888-4C57-81B2-A8FE8A0F8031.jpeg.6c56f5a0e772be0a870f67584343c9f7.jpeg

All dressed up and nowhere to go...

After further discussion with Gavin I think we’ve settled on the second companion blade also being something of a one-off custom, or at least another design not currently offered in his catalog. It will either be a slightly modified version of one of his current designs, or another completely new design. More functional artwork is coming soon :cool:

Sounds like Gavin got a shipment of the materials he was waiting on so there should be more than a sketch for this second blade soon!

Should be hearing more from Gavin shortly and will have pictures to share soon as well. Unfortunately even once the blade is finished it will be another month or so of just shipping time getting from South Africa all the way over to cold Colorado, so I’ll have to survive on pics for a little while after completion. I’ve been playing with my first IE trainer a lot more lately in anticipation of getting my second functional masterpiece in hand. A long wait but I already know it’ll be definitively well worth it in the end!

Thanks for sharing a great story behind a beautiful knife. And thank you for introducing me to Ironside Edgeworks. I'm definitely a fan now and am eager to purchase one of his blades.

Thanks for sharing a great story behind a beautiful knife. And thank you for introducing me to Ironside Edgeworks. I'm definitely a fan now and am eager to purchase one of his blades.

Much appreciated, that’s why I post things like this publicly! I will say I highly recommend ordering a blade from him, just be prepared for the quality to take a little while. His work is in extremely high demand, he doesn’t rush anything, and there’s a long wait for just about anything you ask for - but everyone who’s done so would agree it’s more than worth it

Hopefully some pictures this week. Sounds like the current issue is shipping problems out of SA. Hopefully something better to share shortly though!

I got pictures of the new hotness! 😈 It’s even better than I expected and my expectations were quite lofty. Just waiting for permission and I’ll post up what’s been sent

713E43FE-3880-4C65-B350-9626437B25FD.jpeg.4cc705bcead600f243a83f9b6303bed4.jpeg

Here’s a picture of the steel without the finished handle while those materials cure. I was also sent a video I’m unfortunately unable to post but it shows the way the blade is ground - the dagger is still double edged, it’s got diagonally opposed chisel grinds or a “double asymmetric” blade profile as Gavin says, coming together to a point at the tip. As it was explained Gavin settled on this design during some preliminary testing to have reinforced edges and a beefier tip for stabbing. His assessment is that the design will penetrate bones without issue. The blade and trainer should be all wrapped up relatively shortly, then it’s just a matter of waiting on shipping. Progress!

DFFFCA53-EBF6-454E-95C7-AE6C653D6DBD.jpeg.54a864ef2085d436fa173efcfbe6a7af.jpeg

And now with the finished handle! I can’t honestly think of anything to say beyond that it looks absolutely perfect. In particular the little extra detail of the carbon fiber piece where the blade stems out from the handle, it’s just beautiful. You can also see how this side of the blade has the opposite edge ground. And a somewhat blurry screenshot from the video that shows ho the two edges come together to form the point:

C135DB66-333C-4CED-8B86-BD669BAE9C15.jpeg.250b9bd249c9b097a639439e0838a8e0.jpeg

I’m absolutely ecstatic!

Test video from Gavin on some spare cardboard:

That’ll do very nicely

The new push dagger and trainer are phenomenal. The fit and finish is exacting, the size and ergonomics fill my hand perfectly, good weight without feeling overly bulky. I may do some testing on a pork loin at some point just to get a feel for how the blade pierces meat, but all my inspection and initial manipulations are telling me the pair are as excellent as the original Karambit-Pikal blade. I’ll have to experiment some with various carry/attachment methods on the sheaths to see how best to schlep it, but absolutely overjoyed with how it turned out so far!

Back