Is a folder clipped to your pocket considered concealed?

I was just wondering if any of the legal beagles on this sub-forum could comment on how the law generally sees a folder clipped to a pocket with the knife body inside the pocket and just the clip showing.

I've always assumed this would be considered concealed but I've read some stuff about open carry and I just down see how you could ever carry a folder openly unless it's taped to your forehead. I guess you could carry it clipped to the outside of your pocket (there was a recent thread about this mode of carry in the general knife forum) but then it would be bobbing around and easy to lose or snag on everything.

Any other commonly acceptable way to open carry a folder?

Thanks

Unfortunately, it depends on what state or even city you are in.

Two extreme examples --

In NY city - they'll stop and search you just because they see a clip showing, even if the clip is not attached to a knife because they assume every clip is a knife clip.

In Texas, no one cares how or if you clip your knife.

One of the ideas of the clip is that it's not concealed as the clip and a portion of the knife are visible.

Unfortunately you quickly leave the black and white opinions of here to the much more grey world of law. Folks that write laws like to leave them open to interpretation since that will make things easier if there's a court case. Open/Shut, Yes/No, Black/White questions can be very easy to fight and win and no lawmaker wants to chalk up a bunch of losses. So the real world rules are much more dependent on your local rules and how those rules are interpreted and enforced.

Best bet is to add a location to this question and hopefully some folks with local experience will chime in.

One of the ideas of the clip is that it's not concealed as the clip and a portion of the knife are visible.

Unfortunately you quickly leave the black and white opinions of here to the much more grey world of law. Folks that write laws like to leave them open to interpretation since that will make things easier if there's a court case. Open/Shut, Yes/No, Black/White questions can be very easy to fight and win and no lawmaker wants to chalk up a bunch of losses. So the real world rules are much more dependent on your local rules and how those rules are interpreted and enforced.

Best bet is to add a location to this question and hopefully some folks with local experience will chime in.
That's great advice right there!:thumbsup:

If you don't look like a criminal causing issues they probably won't hassle you.

I got pulled over and the officer asked if I had any weapons in the car I said I had an edc pocket knife in my pocket. She proceeded with caution as I gave her my insurance and license and we were all good.

I don't believe any cops have seen a clip on my pocket and hassled me for it. Tho my shirt often covers it up. I wouldn't imagine them hassling me if I'm not pulling it out or causing a fuss or confrontation with anyone.

Tho that depends on the officer.

If you did something wrong and they searched you, then that's a different story.

I'm in Illinois. We have that concealed law but I don't know what it means like yourself. Would be good to have a better understanding.

I live in Michigan and there is no state law forbidding concealed carry of a knife. However, if the blade is over 3 inches lock or not it could be considered a weapon depending on your intent and the interpretation of the officer. Clear as mud??

I live in Michigan and there is no state law forbidding concealed carry of a knife. However, if the blade is over 3 inches lock or not it could be considered a weapon depending on your intent and the interpretation of the officer. Clear as mud??

Yes, I'm aware of the statute in Michigan however, my question is geared more toward what is actually considered "concealed."

Again, I think that it open to the interpretation of the officer on the street and the courts. For example, as far as firearms go, in some states concealed means no part of the gun or holster can show. In others, if the holster sticks out the bottom of your jacket, its still concealed. So using that IMHO if the clip shows, it's not concealed, maybe.

Yes, I'm aware of the statute in Michigan however, my question is geared more toward what is actually considered "concealed."

I'm not sure how it works in Michigan but technically in Canada we are not supposed to conceal knives as weapons. However if you go with the "my knife is jjst a tool, not a weapon" argument, then there is no law against concealing tools. It's easier to make this argument if your knife clearly doesn't look like a fighting knife. If michigan laws are based on intent then the cops will likely take that into consideration.

I recommend this book, especially for anyone who will carry knives to other states.

Knife-Laws-of-the-US-book.jpg

Edit: check this out too.
Not sure how accurate it is.
knife-law-knifeup.com_.jpg

Reactions: Mo2
I recommend this book, especially for anyone who will carry knives to other states.
Might have some useful info, but it's published in 2015. I know for a fact several knife laws have changed. The author is a lawyer though and so might have overall good insight.

Edit: check this out too.
Not sure how accurate it is.
Seems mostly accurate but of course my default is to look at my own state (MD). The last panel about concealed pocket knives is outright wrong for MD (we have no length limit and never have). This would call the rest of the graphic into question.

In researching law and case law, and talking this forum for quite some time, any questions about knives categorically must be answered on a state-by-state basis. There is virtually nothing that can be answered US-wide except for very specific federal statutes or certain matters pertaining to police and courtroom procedures. The most accurate information can be obtained from reading the criminal code or penal code of a given state on an official state site. All states have these sites and they are the most up to date.

Might have some useful info, but it's published in 2015. I know for a fact several knife laws have changed. The author is a lawyer though and so might have overall good insight.

Seems mostly accurate but of course my default is to look at my own state (MD). The last panel about concealed pocket knives is outright wrong for MD (we have no length limit and never have). This would call the rest of the graphic into question.

In researching law and case law, and talking this forum for quite some time, any questions about knives categorically must be answered on a state-by-state basis. There is virtually nothing that can be answered US-wide except for very specific federal statutes or certain matters pertaining to police and courtroom procedures. The most accurate information can be obtained from reading the criminal code or penal code of a given state on an official state site. All states have these sites and they are the most up to date.

That's the most up to date book I could find. KnifeRights USA has got some bogus laws repealed.

That's the most up to date book I could find. KnifeRights USA has got some bogus laws repealed.

They also have a cell phone app that (I assume) gets updated as needed. It costs a little, but it's probably the most up-to-date info available on local knife laws.

Back