Is Damascus worth more than Pearl?

I recently had issues with the price of a Damascus inlay a maker put into a knife handle of mine and was wondering what everyone else thought. I was quoted $200 for a white or gold lip pearl inlay or $350 for a damascus inlay of the same size, probably slightly thicker though although I'm guessing. The high price of the makers Damascus was partially because the maker made it as opposed to using Mike Norris Damascus which would have only ran $250. Why is the damascus so darned expensive? More than Pearl? It doesn't make sense to me. To my way of thinking $350 is another custom knife, not a little inlay in one.

What are your opinions?

oil

I would pick pearl over damascus any time.

Price of damascus is usually high because of amount of hand labor involved in making it. But it depends on what steels are used, wheter is there special pattern and most important: name of the maker.

(btw $350 is awfully LOT for small piece of damascus, here is whole pattern-welded (13.5" OAL) dagger for $475, made by Dr. J. Hrisoulas)

huugh said:
I would pick pearl over damascus any time.

So would have I except I was never told the price for the Damascus one. When I inquired about Pearl I was told that he was making more Damascus and the Pearl question was never answered.

huugh said:
Price of damascus is usually high because of amount of hand labor involved in making it. But it depends on what steels are used, wheter is there special pattern and most important: name of the maker.

(btw $350 is awfully LOT for small piece of damascus, here is whole pattern-welded (13.5" OAL) dagger for $475, made by Dr. J. Hrisoulas)

That's what I was thinking about the price too.:(

oil

Danascus would be much more work to make, grind, fit, finish and etch. A pearl inlay would be much quicker with less labor. Also a maker that makes his own damascus usually charges more for it because he's not mass producing it.

There are various kinds of damascus and pearl so who knows why he quotes such a difference. Might want to ask him that question. I'm not sure damascus is any harder to work than pearl. Grinding a polishing steel is different than grinding and polishing stone or pearl but not that much different.

What is the overall size of the inlay?

Though damascus is more work, MOP is pretty delicate and could chip, crack, break or burn while being shaped. $350.00 seems very steep. I have had a couple of makers tell me that they will charge me the same amount for a guard made out of either stainless or damascus. One maker quoted me a difference of $100.00 for the guard, spacer/ferrule, buttcap and escutcheon if I went with damascus instead of wrought iron. Some makers do charge a great deal for their damascus.

sunfishman said:
Danascus would be much more work to make, grind, fit, finish and etch. A pearl inlay would be much quicker with less labor. Also a maker that makes his own damascus usually charges more for it because he's not mass producing it.

Thanks Don, it makes a little more sense now. I wish I would have known the price difference before the fact as I would have gone with Pearl but like I said, the maker and I had communication issues.

DGG,
Due to the Comm issues I was never given a price on the Damascus until it was done. When asked about it all I was told was "I made it" as to the high price.

Keith,
The inlay was about as big as a standard box cutter.(The kind with the metal sleeve over a razorblade.) Not rectangular though so less material than if it was.

Thanks guys,

Greg

I don't know, but it seems to me like he should have told you the price. Perhaps it could be said that you should have asked as well, but that seems real steep.

$350 for a Damascus inlay? OK, fine, if you're willing to pay it. But I don't think that is such an "average going rate" that he should neglect to mention it.

Matteo Escobar said:
I don't know, but it seems to me like he should have told you the price. Perhaps it could be said that you should have asked as well, but that seems real steep.

I did ask but due to the confusion of what I origionally ordered I was told the base price for the knife in question. Then the order was updated but I wasn't given a new price until it was done and billed for it.

OilMan said:
I did ask but due to the confusion of what I origionally ordered I was told the base price for the knife in question. Then the order was updated but I wasn't given a new price until it was done and billed for it.
That seems pretty weird and unfair to me.
icon13.gif
for the maker.

Don't be too hard on the maker unless you know the full story. Maybe the maker thought he had more artistic freedom and the knife wound up costing more and the inlay was an easy thing upon which to hang the additional cost. Also, for example, if payment was dependent upon acceptance on delivery, then the knife could have been refused w/o any monetary loss. Without full details, one can't really judge, and as indicated there were communications problems and communication is always a two way street.

Keith Montgomery said:
A little bird told me that this is all going to end well. ;)

Yep, I talked to the maker again and he's making this righter than he had to really.:thumbup: :thumbup: Now that it's all squared away I will no longer be selling it,at a loss, immediately either as it is quite special. As is the maker for making this right.:thumbup: He will be seeing future biz with me as a direct result of how he handled this issue also.
I would stress that COMMUNICATION is ultra important to a smooth deal in any of our transactions. Mine included.

thanks guys,

Greg

Back