Is having a multitool that can cut through fence too much to ask?

I am curious to know what multitool has the strongest wire cutters from those of you who have put them to the test. Any experience with the Sog that has the snips for the main function instead of pliers? Thanks for the Help

I don't know the answer to you question but multi tools are suppose to be backup tools. Get a real big wire cutter if you want to cut through fences.

I haven't tried the SOG snips just yet, but from what I can tell it is a pretty small tool designed more for cutting light electrical wire than heavy gauge fencing.

I have had to cut through standard chainlink several times, and all of those times a good full sized multi-tool has handled the job (provided I used the hardwire cutter notch). Most of this was done a few years ago with my old Super Tool 200. However, I have no doubt that the compound leverage of the SOG Powerlock would ease right through standard gauge fencing. That would be my first choice.

Even my fairly small Leatherman Skeletool will handle a pretty beefy metal hanger (the kind rental shirts come on) without any trouble. The key is the hardwire cutting notch. My mother, bless her, ruined my first Leatherman Wave by using it cut hardwire with the soft wire cutters....jammed the damn thing up:grumpy: But, it's Mom. What ya gonna do?:p

Ditto on the powerlock, best hard use multi out there. I have cut a lot of stuff with mine. That tool is built like a tank.

Yeah, I want a MT with some cutters strong enough to cut through all of the barbed wire cattle fences I come across when I'm out hunting. I'm too lazy to or can't climb over all of them. :D

Just kiddin'.

Some Gerber pliers feature replaceable tungsten carbide cutting inserts which do make light work of cutting wires and harden fishhooks too.
If that doesn't work, then it's my guess that the Gerber Concertina Wire Cutter would most probably find favour with all aspiring backyard commandos!

I haven't tried the SOG snips just yet, but from what I can tell it is a pretty small tool designed more for cutting light electrical wire than heavy gauge fencing.

I have had to cut through standard chainlink several times, and all of those times a good full sized multi-tool has handled the job (provided I used the hardwire cutter notch). Most of this was done a few years ago with my old Super Tool 200. However, I have no doubt that the compound leverage of the SOG Powerlock would ease right through standard gauge fencing. That would be my first choice.

Even my fairly small Leatherman Skeletool will handle a pretty beefy metal hanger (the kind rental shirts come on) without any trouble. The key is the hardwire cutting notch. My mother, bless her, ruined my first Leatherman Wave by using it cut hardwire with the soft wire cutters....jammed the damn thing up:grumpy: But, it's Mom. What ya gonna do?:p

Where is this hardware cutter notch? I've never seen it on any of them or in the descriptions. I think it mush be some subtle thing I'm missing.

The hard-wire notch is the small cut out nearest the pivot on the cutters. It provides a more robust contact surface for the cutters. on older tools its round, on the newer carbide leatherman cutters its just the back area of the cutter. Also this thread is 10 years old.

You need a pair of real fencing pliers . The kind with several cutters built into the frame that can handle hardened wire until your hands give out. And a lot of livestock fencing is hardened wire. That's why people are always whining about their multitool wire cutters breaking.
They will have a hammer on one side of the jaws for driving fencing staples and nails, and on the opposite side, a curved point for pulling staples. The original cowboys multi tool.

Great thing to snag at flea markets.

Edit to add:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/gerber-carbide-cutters-breaking.1577180/

A lightweight, do-it-all multitool is a wonderful thing to have on you, especially when you are halfway out in a muddy field, or down in a field tile trench. But, they are simply not capable of heavy duty use, no matter how good their ad writers are.
You need the right tool for the job.

Last edited:
Back