Is it worth upgrading from the Spyderco Delica 4 to the Paramilitary 2?

greetings knife nuts,

I have owned the Spyderco Delica 4 for a little over a year and it is still by far my favorite and the best knife I own. Lately Ive been so pleased with it that I have been wondering if it would be worth upgrading to a supposedly better model, say the PM2. I would like any of you who have owned a Delica and have another knife which you feel surpassed it to please help me out, especially if that knife is the PM2. Thanks everyone and have a good one!

Different kind of knives....
If you light thin blade and light EDC keep the Delica
If you don't mind, or prefer, a broader blade and want something for harder tasks then go for the PM2

I have both, like both and use both... just for different occasion
The Delica is my "office EDC" and the PM2 my "outdoor EDC"

Do you want a bigger knife? If so I'd recommend the Stretch first. Familiar FRN, steel, feel, weight. You might like the Manix LW but it takes up alot more pocket space. PM2 is my favorite folding knife, I would recommend the PM2 to any knife guy. If you want to stay the same size I'd say Caly 3 (maybe hap40 sprint that's upcoming), chaperal, or a sage.

Other Spyderco models are not objectively "better". They are just different. If you've been unable to cut open a watermelon or reach the bottom of the peanut butter jar with a Delica, then a longer blade may be in order. Otherwise, all Spyderco's cut stuff so there is no objective reason to get a "better" one. Now, if you just love knives, like I do, then you may want more and more just to collect and use and hoard, and that makes us feel good, but accumulating and hoarding is a different subject. I own maybe 40 or 50 Spyderco knives, and its not like I "need" more than one or two of them.

So get a Para 2 if it makes your leg tingle or brings joy to your heart, but you don't objectively need to do it.

Get one from the exchange you can get a good deal for a like new one . That's how I got my first . Now I own about 10 :) .

greetings knife nuts,

I have owned the Spyderco Delica 4 for a little over a year and it is still by far my favorite and the best knife I own. Lately Ive been so pleased with it that I have been wondering if it would be worth upgrading to a supposedly better model, say the PM2. I would like any of you who have owned a Delica and have another knife which you feel surpassed it to please help me out, especially if that knife is the PM2. Thanks everyone and have a good one!

The PM2 is a different size knife. If you want to go bigger then go with the PM2. It is a great knife for sure. However, if you want a similar sized knife to the delica but want the materials and lock upgrade (some might not consider it an upgrade) of the PM2, I think the Para 3 would be the knife to get. It is Delica sized but has the materials and lock of the PM2. I believe the Para 3 is thicker than the delica though. I haven't handled the 3 but I do have a PM2 and a Delica. I prefer a larger knife so I prefer the PM2.

I actually prefer the Delica to the PM2 due to the hand feel and blade/handle ratio.

I actually prefer the Delica to the PM2 due to the hand feel and blade/handle ratio.

Yes, I could absolutely see that for some. Blade to handle ratio of the para 3 is more on par with the delicate but I think the thickness is more like the pm2. Not sure on the contouring. Might be worth looking into by yhe op.

From another perspective - I tried the PM2 and did not like it. Fit in hand mostly. I chose the Endura and have been exceptionally satisfied. I like the lock back knife (like the Delica), the longer blade, the more stout feel, the VG10 blade, and the way it carries in my pocket. Compared to the Delicas I have owned the Endura is rugged and more useful. One man's 2 ¢.

Ray

Last edited:
I started with an early all stainless delica, gained a black synthetic one with vg10 and also a dragonfly....then I was gifted an endura emerson wave and carry it over the others now....not that the 1st 3 are any less of quality, it`s just that the wave is so convenient to open from the pocket, and the extra length is appreciated and the grip is more positive for me.....

You should check out MostMenAreRuthless's thread on the Delica. He does a showdown between the Delica and PM2 (among many others) and the Delica comes out the clear winner.

I feel the same way. I like the PM2 because it's a great all arounder, the lock is fun, and it comes in many different steels, but I actually prefer carrying and cutting stuff with the Delica.

If you are on the fence, maybe ask yourself why. If you want something different but still a Spyderco, and are ok with/desire a larger (but really not by that much) knife that has a more substantial feel, then the Para 2 is a great choice. But maybe the Endura is a good choice for other reasons. I personally don't love the Delica, though oddly enough it is the knife in my pocket right now. ...mainly because I am at a ski resort and if I misplace/lose it it isn't that big of a deal compared to others. My personal highest recommended Spyderco is the Native 5 lightweight. IMO it pretty much blows away the Delica. ...better steel, better handle, probably sturdier all around, and Made in Golden, Colorado, USA, Earth.

Don't get the PM2!!!! Once you do it will start a chain reaction, before you know it you will have spent $$$$ on hundreds of knives.

My first "good" knife was a delica. Great size, weight etc for an edc. If you want a bigger knife, then get the PM2, but I find it a little big for me most of the time. If you want a similar knife to the Delica with better materials, then that is a whole different discussion.

I don't think you can upgrade from the delica imho. I have had many other higher end spydies (PM2, manix) and others form different brands and have sold most. The delica is the most bang for your buck you can get in a knife imho. If you want something a little different or maybe larger try and endure or stretch. Same knife basically just a little larger. Heck get a delica in a different color for that matter. Honestly I've tried lots of knives much more expensive and cant seem to find anything that carries as well and cuts as well as a delica. Oh and did I mention its cheap and you don't have to worry about abusing it. If for some reason you do break or lose it you can buy another and still be cheaper then most other upgraded options. Just my take from a guy who has tried more higher end knives. The higher end ones are nice for sure but it really is hard to beat the delica as a edc knife.

I would say yes.

I had a Delica but my daughter took it away from me. I have a lot of PM2s.

Delica vs. PM2:
PM2 is larger.
PM2 has G10 scales, Delica is FRN.
PM2 is available with better steels.

My opinion is this; if you have never owned a PM2 and have to ask, yes buy one.

I dodged the PM2. I didn't want to like. In a way I still dont want to like it, but I do. My excuse in getting one is weak. It's like th Buck 110 or Case Peanut, you just have to own one if your going to be on this forum. You don't have to keep it though. :D

I'd say get a Endura also. Or a PM2 I like the PM 2 better but the Endura is almost identical to your Delica but just a little bigger. Or a Native 5 like Arch man said.

I have both the PM2 and Delica along with several other Spyderco models.

And I keep coming back to the Delica as my fav EDC. (The Delica ZDP189 specifically.)

The PM2 is just too big in the pocket for me. The Stretch and Caly 3.5 fit me better than the PM2.

Back