Is Micro-chipping the cause of dull razors?

If I remember correctly, another important variable was shaving with the grain, vs against. The hairs shaved against the grain were more prone to causing the stress and micro-fracture/chipping.
The article talks about the angle of the razor relative to the hairs as one of the primary factors.

The lubricating strip is useless it burns up under the hot water; many times i just pull it off after its melted.they should make those strips polished aluminum ;at least it wouldnt melt.

Interesting read. I have seen the evaporated deposits discussed as a mode of loss of smooth shave before. I need to start a program of drying my razors.

I also have seen a discussion of placing the razor in a preservative fluid between shaves fo avoid the evaporation deposits of minerals on the blade. Though I can't remember for the life of me what not corrosive fluid that was being used to avoid the deposits??

I keep my razors for a goodly amount of time....

And my razor also gets used by the wife....something I have in the past not done but for years now, my razor is in the shower where I shave wet, with a hand held mirror.. and the wife comandeers it, because it is there........

Maybe I need to reestablish the "my razor, her razor parameters". I shave only a line on my cheeks above the beard and a line on the neck below the beard.

I think I have only had a clean shaven face twice in the past 15 years or so?

axcaofg.jpg

the “preservation fluid” is probably something like Barbicide (the jar of blue liquid that barbers keep their shears, razors and combs in)

Anybody who had a tough beard and blade shaves knows the importance of "beard prep" in wetting the whiskers to soften them. In that thesis project, the whiskers were cut in the SEM UNDER VACUUM, completely desiccated. I've done some work with imaging whiskers shaved under different conditions, and I can tell you that once vacuum desiccated, a beard whisker is like a shard of glass. Although it was an impressive technical feat to capture those images, it in no way simulates actual shaving.

Anybody who had a tough beard and blade shaves knows the importance of "beard prep" in wetting the whiskers to soften them. In that thesis project, the whiskers were cut in the SEM UNDER VACUUM, completely desiccated. I've done some work with imaging whiskers shaved under different conditions, and I can tell you that once vacuum desiccated, a beard whisker is like a shard of glass. Although it was an impressive technical feat to capture those images, it in no way simulates actual shaving.
Interesting!

Back